H.S. roundup: Freshmen lead Waterford to girls' soccer victory
Waterford — The Waterford girls' soccer team got a pair of goals from freshmen and picked up a 2-0 win over Plainfield in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division II game on Saturday.
Camryn Dickinson scored with five minutes left in the first half and Paige Jessuck scored with five minutes left in the second half. Charlotte Jessuck and Anna Waddington, also both freshmen, had assists and Kenzie Gregory made three saves for the Lancers (5-0, 2-0).
In other games:
• Angelica Tompkins scored three goals and had an assist as St. Bernard beat Wheeler 6-0 in an ECC Division IV game. Sienna Sferrazza scored twice with an assist, Emily Hernandez had a goal and an assist and Alyssa Hernandez, Liz Hannaford and Caitlyn Kuhn had assists for the Saints (3-1-1, 1-0). Addie Hauptmann made 12 saves for Wheeler (2-3, 0-2).
• Maddie McLeod scored a pair of goals as Ledyard beat Windham 4-1 in an ECC Division III game. Jess English had two assists and Sarah Bailey and Megan Armstrong scored goals for the Colonels (4-1-2, 2-0).
• New London beat Wheeler 3-1 in the ECC Division IV opener for both teams. The Whalers won 25-18, 25-21, 22-25 and 25-12. Chrismaela Bouquet had 19 points, Je'Licia Rivera had 16 points, Nalyce Dudley had 15 points, Wennonah Amar had four kills and six assists, Yarielis Ortiz had 10 digs, Unique Ketter had six digs and Stacey Rivera had 10 points, five assists and six digs for New London (4-2).
• Fitch beat Westbrook/Old Lyme 2-1 in a nonleague game. Bridget O'Leary and Sophie Ash scored goals and Madison Kite Gerrish made one save for Fitch (3-2). Myan Nguyen scored a goal and Abby Demers made three saves for Westbrook/Old Lyme (2-4).
Boys' cross country
• East Lyme competed at the Ocean State Invitational in Rhode Island, finishing ninth in the championship race. The Vikings were led by Luke Anthony's fourth-place finish in 15:17. Also placing in the top 50 were Brendan Fant (40th, 17:24) and Sean McCauley (41st, 17:24).
Girls' cross country
• East Lyme competed in the varsity 2 race at the Ocean State Invitational, finishing eighth. Izzy Paggioli led the Vikings by coming in 23rd in 21:08. Other top finishers for East Lyme were Aranza Torres (33rd, 21:34), Kennedy Holsapple (34th, 21:35) and Maya D'Aquila (51st, 22:22).
Stories that may interest you
It’s Week 8 and Connecticut high school football diehards are getting the regular-season game they’ve all been waiting for on Saturday — No. 2 Darien at No. 1 St. Joseph.
The local team that presently has the best chance to qualify for the CIAC football playoffs is one that's never been there before — the Thames River cooperative program.