H.S. lacrosse roundup: Bacon boys grab 9-7 win over Stonington for ECC Division II crown
Stonington — The Bacon Academy boys' lacrosse team clinched the Eastern Connecticut Conference Division II title Tuesday with a 9-7 win over Stonington.
Sam Blumberger had three goals for Bacon (9-5, 7-0) while Jack Holmes, Gavin Emmons and Ethan Lovetere had two apiece.
Cameron Elenteny and Ethan Mahoney had two goals apiece for the Bears (9-6, 6-2).
In other games:
• John Zimmermann had three goals and an assist as Waterford beat East Lyme 10-9 in an ECC Division I game on Tuesday night. The win gives the Lancers (12-3, 7-1) a half-game lead over East Lyme (10-5, 6-1) in the division. The Vikings, however, will win the division if they beat Woodstock on Thursday to finish 7-1 because they own the league tiebreaker, going 2-0 in mandated crossover games while Waterford was 1-1.
C.J. Landry, Aiden Bousquet and Terrance Silva each scored twice, Jake Kozlowski made 13 saves and Jackson Huta had a goal and an assist for Waterford. Sawyer Tighe scored four goals, Drew Sager had two goals and two assists, Anthony Gesino had two goals and an assist, Sean McCusker had a goal and two assists, Mason Gallo made five saves and Dave Stoddard and Jack Keating each had an assist for East Lyme.
• Montville rallied from a 6-3 deficit and earned an 11-8 win over Ledyard/Griswold in ECC Division II. Colby Cowan had three goals and Gavin Delucia, Chris Baukus and Ethan Johnson had two goals apiece for Montville (2-12, 1-6). Cam Reynolds had four goals for Ledyard (2-12, 1-6).
• Anthony Ballestrini, Conor Gaughan and Nolan Brown had four goals apiece as Norwich Free Academy defeated St Bernard/Wheeler 19-13. C.J. Frank had three goals for NFA (8-7). Cam Gouveia led the Saints (4-9) with six goals and three assists.
• Williams School beat Forman School 10-3 in a Housatonic Valley Athletic League semifinal on Monday. The Blues (9-4) host the HVAL tournament final on Friday. Robbie Darling had three goals and two assists, Colby Potts made 10 saves, Cody Delaurentis had two goals and an assist, Brendan Li scored twice and Sterling Frost had two goals and five ground balls for Williams.
• Lily Tomczik scored seven goals as Montville defeated Woodstock Academy 11-5 in ECC Division II. Reagan Buscetto scored two goals added an assist for Montville (7-8, 4-4) while Kate Bowman and Grace Sanford scored a goal apiece.
• Skylar Gustavsen and Sarah Newton scored six goals apiece as Bacon Academy defeated NFA 19-6 in ECC Division I. Bacon is 10-5, 2-4. Alice-Ann Rourke scored four goals for NFA (7-8, 0-6).
• Ivy Goodman had three goals and four assists as Stonington beat Griswold 18-4. Emma Spathakis had four goals and an assist, Gabby Dimock had three goals and three assists, Emma Vogel had two goals and an assist, Nora Walsh had a goal and three assists and Shay Burnside had a goal and an assist for the Bears (12-3). Emily Aviles scored all four goals and Kuranda Ruggiero had three assists for Griswold (3-11).
Stories that may interest you
"I would see her and her mom in the middle of the winter working on their game on the tennis courts at six or seven at night with the lights on," Waterford High School girls' tennis coach Ed Kolnaski said of sophomore Sarah Hage.
Tim Strong, who led the Montville High School boys' basketball team to its first Eastern Connecticut Conference regular-season title in 43 seasons in 2020, was named the head coach at East Lyme on Wednesday.
Stonington High School boys' track coach Ben Bowne predicts Josh Mooney's phone will start ringing sometime soon with college recruiters after Mooney capped his junior season by winning the CIAC decathlon title with 6,331 points.
Minimum-wage increase, while a blessing for workers, proves a challenge for small businesses during high inflation6:25 am