Local roundup: East Lyme advances to District 10 LL baseball final
Waterford — Second-seeded East Lyme advanced to the championship round of the District 10 Little League (11-12) baseball tournament with an 11-1 semifinal victory over No. 3 Groton on Monday night at Patterson Field.
East Lyme will play the winner of Monday's late game between No. 1 Mystic and No. 4 New London in a best-of-three series starting Wednesday night at 6 p.m., also at Patterson Field.
Three pitchers combined to pitch a five-hitter for East Lyme with Connor Tukey getting the win. Alex Dreyfus led the offense going 3-for-4 with a double and three RBI while Peter Sherwood was 2-for-4 with a double and two RBI, John Bureau and Chris Cambi had two hits apiece and Diego Virgen added a triple.
Braxton Rios had two hits for Groton.
District 10 LL baseball (10-11)
• Mystic forced a winner-take-all game for the District 10 title with a 6-5 win over Waterford in seven innings in Game 2 of the best-of-three series. Game 3 will be Tuesday at 6 p.m. at Rossie Field in Mystic. Griffin Pollard's solo home run, his second homer of the game, broke a 5-5 tie in the top of the seventh. He hit a two-run homer in the first. Finn Eck, Hayden Chappel and Pollard had two hits apiece. Waterford tied the game with two runs in the bottom of the sixth on RBI singles by Remy Coderre and Brady Sutman.
New York-Penn League
• The Connecticut Tigers' ninth-inning comeback came up just short in a 10-9 loss to the Vermont Lake Monsters in the New York-Penn League. Trailing 10-2, Connecticut (11-13) scored seven runs in the ninth and left the tying run at third. Luke Sherley had a two-run single to highlight the comeback while Isrrael De La Cruz added an RBI single. Both went 2-for-4. Ulrich Bojarski hit a two-run homer in the third for Connecticut and added a sacrifice fly during the ninth.
CT Babe Ruth (15) baseball
Pawcatuck was eliminated by New Milford 13-6 in a losers' bracket game of the Connecticut Babe Ruth 15-year-old tournament at Veterans Field in Niantic. Andrew Blake had two hits and Tyler Vanlew had a two-run triple for Pawcatuck.
• Pawtucket defeated Newington 12-8 in an elimination game on Sunday night as Brandt Ogden single, double and drove in four runs while Matt Castagliolo scored three runs, Drew Champagne had an RBI double, Justin Holland had a two-run single and Creighton Wesson, Vanlew and Lucas Holliman each scored two runs.
• A pair of Mystic Schooners were named to the Week 5 honor roll by the New England Collegiate Baseall League. Pitcher Kumar Nambiar (Yale) pitched six scoreless innings against Plymouth on July 7, allowing only two hits and one walk whle striking out nine to lower his league-leading ERA to 0.31. Outfielder/first baseman Chris Winkel (UConn) went 8-for-18 (.444) while scoring six runs, driving in eight and hitting three home runs to raise his average to .277.
• UConn will play Florida State on Saturday, Dec. 8, in the third annual Never Forget Tribute Classic at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. The game will be a homecoming for coach Dan Hurley, who was born and raised in Jersey City and coached St. Benedict's Prep in Newark for nine years. Clemson will face Mississippi State in the other game in the tournament doubleheader.
Stories that may interest you
Former Ledyard running back Alex Manwaring had one of the greatest seasons in state high school football history in 2011. He has taken those lessons he learned playing sports with him into life.
Following is a list of local college athletes who were recognized for their accomplishment during the winter season: