Local roundup: T-More rolls to win over Eastern Nazarene JVs
Montville — Joel Soriano's double-double lifted St. Thomas More to a 90-46 men's basketball victory over the Eastern Nazarene junior varsity on Wednesday.
Soriano, a Fordham commit, finished with 13 points and 10 rebounds for the Chancellors, who led 42-20 at halftime.
Jair Currie led T-More with 16 points whle Nick MacDonald added 10 points, six rebounds and six assists, Jared Garcia had 11 points and six rebounds, and Wayne Bristol finished with 10 points and eight rebounds.
The Chancellors will host Naval Prep on Thursday at 6 p.m. The game, originally scheduled for Friday, was moved in order to accommodate Naval Prep players who will attend the annual Army-Navy football game on Saturday in Philadelphia.
In other games:
• Avery Point lost to Massasoit on Tuesday, 81-48. Norwich's Alec Gomes had 10 points and nine rebounds and Trevor Yeomans of Waterford had 13 points and five rebounds for the Pointers (3-8).
• Le’Sandra Turner had 17 points and eight rebounds as Mitchell College downed Newbury 59-55 in the New England Collegiate Conference. Ramzie Jones had nine points and six rebounds, Kelsey Hernandez had 11 points, and Francesca Pinard had 10 rebounds for the Mariners (3-3, 3-0). Savannah Olson had 13 points and nine assists for Nighthawks (5-3, 3-2).
• Avery Point's Mia Brennan was named the NJCAA Division III Player of the Week, earning the honor for the second time this season. Brennan, the former Waterford standout, averaged 36 points, 11.5 assists, 8.5 rebounds and eight steals in two games for the No. 7 Pointers (6-2).
• Zain Alam scored 22 points during The Williams School's 64-56 loss to MacDuffie. Nick Bonner added 13 for the Blues and Grayson Guinan had 11.
• St. Thomas More lost to Storm King in its opener, 65-55. Zeke Blauner scored 16 points, Ta-Jae Jenkins had 10 points and Desmond Claude scored nine points and had seven rebounds for the Chancellors.
• Williams lost to the Rocky Hill (R.I.), 28-13. Olivia Kaplan scored 10 points for Williams (0-2), which outscored Rocky Hlil 11-9 in the second half after scoring two points in the first half.
• The CIAC has changed the site and time of Saturday's Class LL state championship game between Greenwich and New Canaan from Shelton High School to Boyle Stadium in Stamford at 10 a.m. The Class M final between St. Joseph and Berlin will remain at Shelton, but the game will not start at 2 p.m. instead of the original 10 a.m. starting time.
The Class L and S finals at Willow Brook Park in New Britain remain the same with Bloomfield playing Haddam-Killingworth for the Class S title at 10 a.m., followed by the Class L final between Hand and Maloney at 2 p.m.
• Rory Garlasco had a goal and an assist as Connecticut College beat Salem State 4-1 on Tuesday. Colin Stevens, Ryan Petti and Matt Creamer scored and Avery Gobbo made 23 saves for Conn (2-4-1).
• Conn College lost to No. 3 Norwich 2-0 on Tuesday. Caryl Denora made 13 saves for Conn (3-2-2).
Stories that may interest you
Wednesday's local sports schedule
Ryan Sadosky shot a 2-under par 33 on a windy day at Great Neck Country Club as Waterford knocked Killingly from the ranks of the unbeaten with a 5-2 Eastern Connecticut Conference Division II boys' golf match on Tuesday.