Local roundup: Schooners rally late to beat New Bedford 9-8.
Groton — The Mystic Schooners rallied for four runs in their final two at-bats to beat the New Bedford Baysox 9-8 in a New England Collegiate Baseball game on Thursday night at Fitch High School.
The Schooners (14-7), who won their fourth straight, scored the game-winner with one out in the bottom of the ninth when Matthew Toke (Seton Hall), who led off the inning with a single, scored from third when Isaiah Byars (Alabama) reached on a fielder's choice.
Mystic trailed 8-5 in the eighth when they scored three runs — all with two outs. Byars cut the deficit to 8-6 with an RBI single before RBI doubles by Will Lucas (UConn) and Steve Barmakian (George Washington) tied the game at 8-all.
Byars and Barmakian had three hits apiece for the Schooners.
• The Schooners won their third straight game with an 8-5 victory over the Ocean State Wave on Wednesday night in Groton. Barmakian had a single, triple and scored two runs for the Schooners while Jerome Huntzinger (Seton Hall) added two hits and two runs and Montville's TT Bowens (Central Connecticut), David Beam (East Tennessee State) and Vincent Martin (UMass Lowell) added two hits apiece.
New York-Penn League
• Zach Watson hit a home run on the first pitch of the bottom of the first and the Aberdeen IronBirds went on to defeat the Connecticut Tigers 4-0 on Wednesday night in Maryland. Jake Holton went 2-for-4 to lead the Tigers (7-11).
• Riley Sorrentino pitched a complete game four-hitter with 12 strikeouts as the Three Rivers Sonics beat Groton 6-1 on Wednesday night. Saxon Herbert went 2-for-3 with a two-run double for the Sonics (4-1) while Jason Deschene added two hits and Sean Aimetti doubled. Tyler Eaton went 3-for-3 and drove in the lone run for Groton (0-2).
District 10 LL baseball (9-11)
• East Lyme defeated Waterford 12-1 in the first game of the double-elimination championship round on Wednesday night. Aiden Cochrane went 5-for-5 to lead East Lyme while Cameron Gronholm struck out four over three innings. Gavin Picard had two hits and drove in the only run for Waterford.
• Mystic rallied to defeat Montville 10-9 on Wednesday night in Game 2 of the double-elimination championship round. Trailing 9-7 going into the bottom of the sixth, Chase Volpe singled home two runs to tie and the game Ethan Cabrera single home the game-winner. Cabrera had two hits and two RBI and winning pitcher Ryan Gemaly also drove in two runs. Cole Chiasson, Hunter Sylvia and Sebastian Flores had two hits apiece for Montville.
District 10 LL baseball (10-12)
• Mystic defeated Groton 22-6 on Tuesday night. Trace Morales hit a pair of three run home runs for Mystic while Finn Eck added four hits and two RBI, Liam Joyce had three doubles and three RBI, Hayden Chappel had three hits and Caleb Watson, Jayden Carter and Jonah Korenik each had two hits. Eamonn Pelletier had two hits for Groton.
Stories that may interest you
Bryce Bedard pitched a two-hitter with 12 strikeouts as the Panera Pirates beat the Three Rivers Sonics 9-0 on Monday night to win the Eastern Connecticut Major League playoffs title at Washington Park.
Mystic's Matt Harvey began his Oakland Athletics' career in fine form, pitching four shutout innings for the Triple-A Las Vegas Aviators in a Pacific Coast League baseball game on Saturday night.