Local roundup: Fugere pitches Groton/Mystic 8-10 team to state tournament win
Mansfield — Jillian Fugere pitched a four-hitter with nine strikeouts as Groton/Mystic opened play in the Little League state softball tournament (ages 8-10) with a 4-1 win over Preston/Jewett City on Sunday.
Mystic plays Wallingford in the winners' bracket on Monday at 5:30 p.m., while Preston/Jewett City plays Monroe in a losers' bracket game at Stafford on Monday at 6 p.m. Mallory Bogle had two hits and drove in a run for Groton/Mystic. Preston/Jewett City pitcher Alexia Lemmon struck out 15.
LL baseball (8-10)
• Waterford beat Clinton 6-5 on Saturday to clinch the Section 3 state tournament. Colby Sheehan singled home Chase Nolda in the bottom of the sixth inning to break a 5-5 tie and win the game. Dustin Powers had a three-run single in the second inning for Waterford, which opens state tournament play on Wednesday against Jewett city at Pomfret at 8 p.m.
Intermediate baseball (12-13)
• New London/Mystic stayed alive with an 11-10 win over Keystone (Pa.) in the Eastern Regional tournament at Commack, N.Y. Colin O'Leary's two-run single in the bottom of the ninth inning delivered the victory. Derrel Mitchell homered twice and drove in four runs for New London/Mystic, which plays Montgomery (N.Y.) in a losers' bracket game Monday at 11 a.m.
Senior League softball (13-16)
• Ledyard evened its record in pool play at 1-1 with a 13-12 win over Rhode Island in the Eastern Regional tournament at Worcester, Mass. Samantha Lajoie had two hits and scored twice, Codee Carroll and Abby Fowler had two hits each, Brianna DeCosta drove in a run and scored a run and Samantha Marcotte scored twice for Ledyard.
Legion state tournament
• Waterford took an 11-0 lead after three innings and went on to beat Norwich 12-2 in five innings in a winners' bracket game in the Northern Division Sectional. Norwich is at South Windsor in a losers' bracket game on Tuesday and Waterford hosts the winner on Wednesday. Both games start at 4:30 p.m. Matt Sanford drove in three runs and Ryan Bakken and Elijah Martinez had two RBI each for Waterford and Bakken had two hits. Payton Sutman pitched a six-hitter for the win. Ty Pomroy and Aaron Penney had two hits each for Norwich.
New York-Penn League
• The Connecticut Tigers scored two runs in the bottom of the ninth inning to rally for a 3-2 win over the Brooklyn Cyclones. With the score tied 2-2 and the bases loaded with one out, Eric De La Rosa hit a ground ball that the Cyclones tried to turn into a double play. But De La Rosa beat the throw to first as Avery Tuck scored the winning run. Corey Joyce, who singled home a run in the ninth, was 3-for-4 for the Tigers (17-19).
Wilmer Reyes had two hits, including a two-run home run, with three RBI as the Cyclones beat the Tigers on Saturday night, 6-1. Joyce had two hits and scored for the Tigers and Kona Quiggle hit an RBI single.
• The Mystic Schooners lost to the Vermont Mountaineers 12-7 in the New England Collegiate Baseball League. Isaiah Byars (Alabama) homered and drove in four runs and former Montville standout TT Bowens (Central Connecticut) hit his 12th homer of the season for the Schooners (18-15-1). Mystic tied the Valley Blue Sox 9-9 in 11 innings on Saturday. Nolan Kessinger (UMass) was 3-for-5 with four RBI in that game.
Stories that may interest you
Dave Peck, his sister Diane Peck Rothman, their uncle Tom Peck and fellow Niantic Bay member Bill Healy, who served as tactician, finished first in the 91st annual Atlantic Class National Championship regatta.