Local roundup: Montville boys beat St. Bernard/Wheeler for first lacrosse win
Montville — Ayden Frechette scored six goals as Montville outlasted St. Bernard/Wheeler 16-10 in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division II boys' lacrosse game on Wednesday.
Sawyer Tighe added three goals and an assist and Antonio Brown added three goals for the Indians (1-3, 1-2), who rewarded first-year head coach Nick McAneny with his first career win, while Sawyer Kury had a goal and won 25 faceoffs and Colby Cowan had one goal and one assist.
Cam Gouvea had three goals and an assist for the Saints, who were playing their first game, while Cam Riley and Jackson Hernandez scored three goals apiece.
In other games:
• Robbie Darling had three goals and two assists to lead Williams School to a 12-2 win over St. Andrew's in Barrington, R.I. JD Delaurentis added three goals for the Blues while Ben Xenelis scored twice, Cody Delaurentis had a goal and two assists, Max Sarwar had a goal and an assist, Cooper Anselmi and Jack Connelly each scored a goal, Sterling Frost had an assist and goalie Colby Potts made five saves.
• Ryan Whaley had five goals and three assists to highlight East Lyme's 17-2 ECC Division I win over Waterford on Tuesday night. Matt Valakos added three goals and four assists for the unbeaten Vikings (3-0, 3-0) while Sean McCusker had two goals and one assist, Wes Williamson a goal and three assists, Cooper Pazzaglia scored two goals, Tucker Mazzulli and Drew Sager each had a goal and an assist, and Zach Boguszewski and Anthony Gencino scored one goal apiece. John Zimmerman and Oliver Searle each score a goal for the Lancers (0-3, 0-3).
• Maddie Burrows pitched a one-hitter as Waterford defeated East Lyme 5-0 in an ECC Division I game called after 4.5 innings due to rain. Burrows walked two and struck out 12 for the Lancers (4-0, 3-0), ranked No. 2 in the latest state poll, while Anna Dziecinny hit a two-run homer, Lily Marelli tripled and scored a run and Tori Kiefer had a double. Neva Flickinger had the lone hit for East Lyme (0-3, 0-3) whie Abby Robinson allowed four hits while striking out four.
H.S. girls' tennis
• Reigning ECC champion Maddie Hamm won her No. 1 singles match 6-1, 6-1 as Stonington opened its season with a 6-1 win over NFA in an ECC Division I match. Maddie Gonzalez and Lauren Buckley also won singles matches for the Bears as did the doubles teams of Erin Motherway-Emily Fulling, Maya Bengston-Angelina Williams and Sharon Schoenecker-Analise McGee. Sarah Ericson won at No. 3 singles for NFA (1-2, 1-2).
H.S. boys' track
• Noah Brown won the shot put and discus to highlight Fitch's 88-62 win over Waterford in an ECC Division I meet. Thomas Williams added a win in the 200 and was part of the winning 4x100 and 4x400 relay teams for the Falcons (2-0, 1-0), who also picked up wins from Cornell Jones (high jump), Gavin Asciolla in the (100 dash), Kheaven Kershaw (300 hurdles), Charles Cabusao (400), Viraj Bokhiria (800) and Collin Riley (110 hurdles). Sam menders won the long jump, triple jump, high jump and pole vault for the Lancers (1-1, 0-1) while Sean Corman added win sin the 1,600 and 3,200.
• Ryan Pelillo (110 hurdles, 300 hurdles), Devon Chykow (100, 200), Michael Strain (1,600, 3,200), Jacob Strain (400, high jump) and Anthony Gaeta (shot put discus) won two events apiece as Griswold defeated Montville 109-18 in an ECC Division III meet on Tuesday. The Wolverines are 2-0, 1-0. Alex Louissant won the triple jump for Montville (0-2, 0-2).
H.S. girls' track
• Katelyn Plikus, Maya Suarez and Kelsey Chiasson were double winners as Montville defeated Griswold 81-44 in an ECC Division III meet on Tuesday. Plikus won the 100 hurdles and 300 hurdles for the Indians while Suarez won the 1,600 and 3,200, and Chiasson captured the shot put and discus. Taylor Bialowas won the 100, long jump, triple jump and high jump for the Wolverines.
• Jack Kramer shot a 41 to earn medalist honors and lift Fitch to a 6-1 win over Wheeler in an ECC Division I match at Shennecossett Golf Course. Nate McCormack (46), Elliot Reese (52) and Jack Nystrom (59) also won matches for the Falcons (3-1, 3-1), while Gavin Arruda (47) won for the Lions (0-3, 0-2).
• Mitchell College's Dougie DelaCruz of Montville and Owen Robbins of Salem and East Lyme High School have earned national honors from the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association. DelaCruz, a junior was named the nation's Division III Hitter of the Week while Robbins, a freshman was named Rookie of the Week.
It is the first time any Mitchell player has earned either award. DelaCruz batted .571 with three doubles, three home runs (one a grand slam) and 20 RBI during a 5-1 week for the Mariners while Robbins batted .500 with a double, two grand slams and 10 RBI in five games.
Stories that may interest you
Ethan Mireault scattered seven hits in a complete-game effort and Fitch overcame an early 2-1 deficit to handed Waterford its first loss of the season, 5-3, in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division I baseball game on Monday.
BASEBALL/SOFTBALLThe Chris Potvin Scholarship Fund — Accepting 2021 applications for $1,000 scholarships to deserving student-athletes. Applications are available at http://chrispotvinfund.org or high school guidance offices.New London Babe...