Man dies after being infected with flesh-eating bacteria
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — A Tennessee man died this past week after being infected with a flesh-eating bacteria during a trip to a Florida beach.
According to news reports, the man became ill shortly after returning from vacation in Destin Beach where he was visiting family for the 4th of July.
Cheryl Wiygul, the man's daughter, says the family discovered that a large sore had developed on her dad's back once they had returned home, as well as red bumps on his arms and legs. The man died on July 7, just 48 hours after his last swim in Florida.
Wiygul added that while her dad didn't have any open cuts or wounds, he did have a compromised immune system due to cancer treatments and that may have put him at greater risk.
Stories that may interest you
Several senior White House officials have begun discussing whether to push for a temporary payroll tax cut as a way to arrest an economic slowdown, three people familiar with the discussions said, revealing the growing concerns by President Donald Trump's top economic aides.
Planned Parenthood says it's pulling out of the federal family planning program rather than abide by a new Trump administration rule prohibiting program participants from referring patients for abortions
New figures from the U.S. Census Bureau show that citizenship appears to narrow the economic gap between the foreign-born and native-born in the United States
The acting director of the federal Bureau of Prisons has been removed from his position more than a week after millionaire financier Jeffrey Epstein took his own life while in federal custody