Log In

Reset Password
  • MENU
    Police-Fire Reports
    Saturday, April 01, 2023

    Fire official: Candle caused fire in New London apartment

    New London ― A candle that came into contact with combustible material sparked a fire Saturday at the Mohican apartment building at 281 State St., fire officials said on Monday.

    Fire Inspector David Heiney said the fire that displaced one resident from a first-floor apartment was ruled an accident. No injuries were reported and the apartment sustained moderate smoke and water damage.

    Candles are the third leading cause of the estimated 372,000 residential fires in the U.S. each year, according to the National Fire Protection Association.

    The NFPA suggests candles be at least 12 inches from anything that can burn, kept in candle holders and blown out before leaving the room or going to bed.

    For more tips visit: www.nfpa.org

    Comment threads are monitored for 48 hours after publication and then closed.