Support journalism that matters to you

Since COVID-19 impacts us all and we want everyone in our community to have the important information they need, we have decided to make all coronavirus related stories free to read on While we are providing free access to articles, they are not free to produce. The newsroom is working long hours to provide you the news and information you need during this health emergency. Please consider supporting our work by subscribing or donating.

Police charge man in 2006 killing of Groton man

Get the weekly rundown
Sign up to receive our weekly Legal Insider newsletter

Timothy P. Johnson
Timothy P. Johnson
Anthony Hamlin
Anthony Hamlin

State police charged a Norwich man Thursday with felony murder in connection with the death of a Groton man whose body was discovered more than 10 years ago in a field in Ledyard.

Timothy P. Johnson, now 32, of 495 Laurel Hill Road, Apt. 2L, was taken into custody for his alleged role in the death of Anthony Hamlin, a 40-year-old father of five from Groton and a member of the Eastern Pequot Tribal Nation.

Hamlin’s naked body was discovered on Jan. 28, 2006, in a field in the vicinity to 428 Shewville Road in Ledyard. An autopsy showed Hamlin died of blunt force trauma to the head.

He was last seen near Union Station in downtown New London on Jan. 27, 2006. His family said he had spoken to his sister on the phone that evening, telling her he was picking up a sandwich at Subway and leaving on an 11 p.m. train.

Hamlin's family, which quietly marked the 10-year anniversary of his death this past January, has said he was upset his tribe had not gained federal recognition as had been expected. They said he decided to leave the area and had taken a job as a surveyor's assistant in Hampton, Va. His mother, Darlene Hamlin, has said she had suspicions he was attempting to flee the area because someone wanted to harm him.

On Thursday, she said she has been hoping and praying for a resolution to the case and that the arrest is bringing some peace to her family.

But from her Christian standpoint, she said, it is “a double-edged sword.”

“I am so blessed that it has happened, that they have caught this individual,” she said. “But I think about his mother and whatever family members he may have. It’s like losing a child. He’s going to face a long time in prison, maybe life.”

Darlene Hamlin said she was grateful to state police Detectives Ryan Luther and David Lamoureux, who have kept in touch with her and who notified her recently that an arrest was imminent.

Over the years, the family had hoped for a resolution to the case, holding vigils and speaking out about his death. The reward for information leading to an arrest in the cold case had been increased over the years and stood at $50,000 Thursday.

State police issued a brief statement on the arrest Thursday indicating they expect at least one additional arrest in the ongoing investigation. An arrest warrant affidavit detailing the evidence against Johnson remains sealed, police said.

Thursday’s arrest was the result of an investigation by local, state and federal agencies working together, according to police.

Johnson is being held in lieu of a $1 million bond and is expected for arraignment Friday in New London Superior Court.

Day Staff Writers Greg Smith and Karen Florin contributed to this report.


Loading comments...
Hide Comments