Local roundup: Bacon Academy tops Ledyard in volleyball
Ledyard – Bacon Academy beat Ledyard 3-1 in the Eastern Connecticut Conference Division II volleyball opener for both teams on Thursday.
Grace Gorreck had 22 kills and Sammi D’Atri had 22 digs for Bacon (5-2), which won 25-21, 24-26, 29-27, 25-22. Josie Thompson had 17 digs and Kiera Stewart had 40 assists for Bacon.
Aniya Pearson had seven kills, Layla Lasisophone had 10 assists and five aces, Bryleigh Johnson had 20 digs and Grace Haydash had seven kills for Ledyard (3-3).
H.S. field hockey
• Sophie Ash scored a pair of goals as Fitch beat NFA 4-0 in an ECC game. Izzy Ash and Olivia Romano scored goals, Ashleigh Holmes had two assists and Ada Ellis had an assist for Fitch (4-1, 3-1). NFA is 0-4, 0-3.
• Katie Anbari scored with 57 seconds left in the game as Stonington beat East Lyme 1-0 in the ECC. Anna Letteiri assisted on the goal and Madi Allard made three saves for the Bears (4-1, 4-0). Jaci Felix made four saves for East Lyme (1-1, 1-1).
• Westbrook/Old Lyme beat Morgan 2-1 in overtime in the Shoreline Conference. Brooke Oulette had a goal and an assist, Myan Nguyen scored a goal, Delaney Belcourt had an assist and Abby Demers made five saves for Westbrook/Old Lyme (2-2-1).
H.S. boys’ soccer
• Peyton Luther scored three goals as Ledyard beat New London 9-2 in an ECC Division II game. Jack Smith had two goals and an assist, Sebby Fieldsend had three assists, Nate Vidal, Niko Cayangyang ,Cam Weber and Ben Crowe scored goals, Aidan Acor made six saves and Mason Day had an assist for Ledyard (3-2-1, 1-1).
Jorge Almendarez and Niko Churis scored goals for New London (0-3, 0-3) and Nahkym Davis made 12 saves.
H.S. girls’ cross country
• Kaitlyn Kumpf of Williams School finished first in Wednesday’s race against Harvey and Forman. Kumpf finished in a time of 23:41 and was joined in the top 10 by teammates Helen Godshall (5th, 28:40) and Veronika Altamirano (7th, 31:49).
H.S. boys’ cross country
• Williams School races against Harvey and Forman on Wednesday. Tyler Boissevain led the Blues with an 11th-place finish in 23:25. Jackson Raisbeck was 14th (24:18) and Jadiel Thomas was 15th (24:30).
Sun to host clinics
• The Connecticut Sun will host three skills clinics at Sacred Heart Academy in Hamden. Session 1 is for girls in grades 3-5 and Session 2 is for girls in grades 6-8.
The first is on Oct. 10 with Session 1 from 3-4:30 p.m., and Session 2 from 5-6:30 p.m. The second clinic is on Nov. 11 (Session 1, 9:10:30 a.m.; Session 2, 11-12:30 p.m. and the third is on Dec. 17 (Session 1, 9-10:30 a.m.; Session 2, 11-12:30 p.m.). Registration is $30 for each clinic and participants will receive a Connecticut Sun Skills Clinic tee-shirt.