Local roundup: Mulvihill leads Conn College to victory
Mansfield – Clare Mulvihill’s goal in the second half Tuesday gave the Connecticut College women’s soccer team a 1-0 victory over Eastern Connecticut State University.
Goalkeeper Sarah Hall earned the shutout for the Camels (6-2-1).
• Marco Cerezo’s goal late in the first half gave defending Div. III national champion Connecticut College a 1-0 win over Eastern Connecticut State University. It was the fifth shutout in eight games for the Camels (4-2-2).
• John DiTommaso had two assists as Coast Guard blanked Wesleyan, 2-0, to win its first New England Men’s and Women’s Athletic Conference game of the season. George Ackling and Andrew Ferderer scored for the Bears (7-1-2, 1-1-1).
• Katherine Randall had 10 kills and 14 digs for Conn College in its 25-21, 25-17, 25-21 win over Mitchell. Lauren Carey had 31 assists for Conn (6-6) and Riley Lord added 16 digs. Claire Binfield had 24 assists and 10 digs, Olivia DeLoach had 13 kills and 15 digs and Julia Lent had 14 digs for the Mariners (8-5).
• Noelle Turksy had 20 assists, 10 digs and six kills in Coast Guard’s 25-13, 25-17, 25-13 win over Mount Holyoke in a NEWMAC match. Kaela France had 21 digs and five aces, Shannon Shaw had 12 kills and seven digs and Maeve Duffin had 11 assists for the Bears (12-4, 2-2).
• Skylar Bell’s 35 digs and eight kills helped East Lyme rally past Lyman Memorial 25-16, 20-25, 22-25, 25-20, 15-9. Shae McMunn had 42 assists for the Vikings (8-3) and Carolyn Place added 14 kills. Kassidy LaTour had 15 assists, 14 digs and 13 kills for the Bulldogs (8-3) and Carlee DeRoehn had 26 digs, 16 kills and 12 assists. Also, Arianna Garcia had 22 digs and Mia Attardi 14 digs.
• Abby Butremovic had 11 aces as Wheeler defeated New London, 3-0. Valeria Barajas had seven kills and Skyler Morgan had six kills for Wheeler (6-4).
• Arianna Garcia had 18 digs and three aces to highlight Lyman Memorial’s 3-1 victory over Windham on Monday night. Game scores were 25-16, 24-26, 25-2 and 25-9. Mia Attardi added 15 digs for the Bulldogs (8-2) while Nina Gardella had eight aces, Kassidy LaTour 12 kills and seven assists, Erica Arpin 10 aces and Carlee DeRoehn 21 digs and 11 assists.
• Killingly got the best of Montville 3-1 on Monday night. Reagan Buscetto had four digs and an ace for Montville (4-7) while Ava Collins added five aces, four kills and two blocks.
H.S. girls’ soccer
• Katie Pierce scored four goals as Wheeler defeated New London 6-1. Three of Pierce’s goals were unassisted. Alex Gutierrez scored on a corner kick for New London.
• Katie Myjak had eight saves as Montville and Old Saybrook played to a scoreless tie. Montville is 4-3-1.
• Alex Tabilas broke a scoreless tie with 9:45 remaining as Norwich Free Academy edged Waterford 1-0 on Monday night. Goalie Ava Boenig earned her third straight shutout for the Wildcats (4-3-1) by making five saves while Victoria Strom stopped two shots for the Lancers (4-3-1).
H.S. field hockey
• Sam Chamberlin and Julia Locklear scored as East Lyme defeated Killingly 2-0 in an Eastern Connecticut Conference game. Jaci Felix had four saves and earned her fourth shutout for East Lyme.
H.S. boys’ soccer
• Dylan Fryer scored a goal and Griswold used an own goal by St. Bernard to edge the Saints 2-1. Evan Merchant assisted on Fryer’s goal for the Wolverines (4-4) that helped deal St. Bernard (6-1-1) its first loss. Jose Pacheco scored for St. Bernard.
• Grasso Tech picked up its first win of the season, beating Tourtellotte 4-0 on Monday. Adam Chioccola scored twice, Luca Iglesias had a goal and an assist and Damir Mangan had a goal for the Eagles (1-6-1). Goalies Ethan Dion and Justin Cahoon combined for the shutout.