- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Clinton - Montville High School placed five wrestlers in the finals and won three titles as the Indians captured the Morgan Invitational wrestling tournament Saturday.
Tommy Wynosky (126 pounds), Jacob Caskey (132) and Ryan Murtha (285) won titles while Jacob Schmalz (160) and McKenzie Mahn (182) had second-place finishes.
Montville's team total was 183, with Branford placing second with 177 points in the 18-team tournament. Coming in third for Montville were Joe Rainville (120) and Pat Bogan (170), and teammates Zach Looney (113), Kyle Looney (138) and Ian Concascia (152) finished fourth.
St. Bernard-Norwich Tech-Wheeler finished ninth.
In other meets:
• Nick Lauer (145), Brandon Finney (152) and Caile Johnson (160) began the day with pins and No. 2 Ledyard cruised to a 78-3 victory over Old Saybrook/Westbrook in a matchup of two state champions from a year ago.
Colin Grim (182), Kyle Perry (195), Josh Troop (220), Ricky Cruz (113), Robert Drury (120), Devon MarcAurele (126) and Mike Graff (132) also won by pin for the Colonels (3-0). Troop had the fastest fall of the day in 29 seconds.
Ledyard won the Class M title a year ago while Old Saybrook/Westbrook was the Class S champ.
• Norwich Free Academy went 3-1 in a six-team meet at E.O. Smith, beating Fitch 78-0, Ellis Tech 78-6 and New London 54-30 and losing to Platt 40-36.
Tyler Courter (145) won four matches, three by pin, for NFA (5-4) and teammate Edgar Charles (160) also won four times. James Tramontozzi (120) recorded three pins and Joey Ballestrini (138) won three matches for NFA.
Michael Commander (126), Joseph Watson (132), Sri Louis (152), Greg Kohler (170) and heavyweight Junior Cuevas had pins for New London against NFA.
Fitch also lost to E.O. Smith 57-24 and Platt 76-6. Jordan Kenyon (160) had a pair of pins for Fitch (0-5). Damien DiPaolo (138), Josiah Madrigal (170) and Bryan Brown (120) also had pins against E.O. Smith.
H.S. boys' basketball
• Hartford Capital outscored Ledyard 29-12 in the third quarter and went on to hand the Colonels their first loss of the season, 80-58. The game was tied 30-30 at halftime. Thomas Whipple scored 19 and Phyllip Thomas had 11 points for Ledyard (4-1).
Kahlil Dukes (24) and Levy Gillespie combined for 46 points for Capital (2-1).
• Brookfield, the reigning Class M champion and State Open runnerup, defeated East Lyme 105-81 in a nonleague meet, but the Vikings (3-1) set a pair of school records. Dylan Luce won the diving competition with a record 205.75 points and the 200-yard freestyle relay team of Adam Opsahl, Eric Stirtan, Clayton Otter and Sam Magna broke their own school record in 1:32.40. Opsahl, Magna, Zachary Kosakowski and Austin Toback added a win in the 200 medley relay.
• NFA-St. Bernard-Bacon dropped a 3-2 decision to Newington-Berlin-Manchester. Andrew Gagnon and Joey Mitchell scored goals, Jonah Beauton made 17 saves and Caleb Grace, Isaac Bassham and Jason Steele had assists for NFA (1-3).
• Dylan Haines scored 12 points and had seven rebounds, leading St. Thomas More to a 73-62 win over Wilbraham & Monson Friday. Gabe Levin had 11 points and 10 rebounds and Marquis Moore scored 19 for T-More.