City Ethics Board dismisses complaint against Buscetto
New London - The city's Board of Ethics will not pursue a July 12 complaint lodged against City Councilor Michael Buscetto III.
Buscetto, the Democratic-endorsed candidate for mayor, said Friday he was notified Aug. 3 that he has been cleared of any ethics violations concerning a city event that was catered by his restaurant last December.
The board voted unanimously to not refer the matter to another administrative or judicial authority.
The complaint, brought by Kathleen Mitchell, who had been contemplating a run for mayor at the time, had alleged that Buscetto violated the city's code of ethics when his restaurant provided food for a lunch at the Office of Youth Affairs.
The city paid Filomena's restaurant in Waterford $145 for the food.
"I am pleased to see the process take its course,'' Buscetto said in a prepared statement issued Friday.
"During this historic election, allegations and accusations will continue to be made and we will meet them head on. It is important that we refocus our energy and efforts on the real issues that affect our community," he said.
Stories that may interest you
Thomas Gilmer, a Republican candidate who appears on today's primary ballot for the 2nd Congressional District, dropped out of the race late Monday night after police in Wethersfield arrested him on a warrant.
Results represent the first EEE-positive mosquitoes in the state this year, health officials report
Alaska, New Mexico and Ohio also have been removed from the list, while Hawaii, South Dakota and the Virgin Islands have been added.
An executive order from Gov. Ned Lamont stipulates that as long as ballots are postmarked by Tuesday's primary election date and received before Thursday, they will be counted.