Big Y employee shocked, suffered serious burns while working in Old Lyme store
Old Lyme – Fire officials say a man received an electric shock at the Big Y World Class Market on Route 1 Thursday afternoon and was transported to the Shoreline Medical Center to meet a Life Star helicopter.
The man was shocked around 2:10 this afternoon and suffered severe burns to his hands and face, Old Lyme Fire Marshal David Roberge said.
The man was conscious but it appears to be fairly serious, he said.
Roberge said the man, in his 40s, is a Big Y employee and was working upstairs in an electrical room. Roberge said the man was working on a refrigeration system electrical panel when he experienced an arc flash. An arc flash is a high flash of energy, Roberge said.
The man was transported to the Shoreline Medical Center before he was flown to Bridgeport Hospital, Roberge said.
A call to the Big Y corporate office was not returned.
Stories that may interest you
One person was taken to the hospital with injuries following a shooting inside a house on Surrey Lane early Tuesday morning. A preliminary investigation suggests it was targeted.
A tractor trailer driver died in a fiery crash on Interstate 395 Monday afternoon when the truck struck an overpass in Norwich.
A 33-year-old New London man who had several organs removed following a July 13 shooting was in court Monday when the man who allegedly shot him was led before a judge.
A 53-year-old Norwich man who was arrested on narcotics charges in July 2018 after police found 51 bags of fentanyl in his apartment pleaded guilty Monday in New London Superior Court and was sentenced to 731 days in prison.