H.S. cross country: Wheeler girls sweep ECC Division IV tri-meet
Plainfield — Wheeler completed a perfect regular season in Eastern Connecticut Conference Division IV girls' cross country with 15-50 victories over Plainfield and Putnam on Tuesday.
The Lions (4-5, 4-0) swept the top three spots with Brittney Riggins the overall winner in 29:01 followed by Miranda Pabst in 29:40 and Kristian Ram in 31:09.
In other meets:
• East Lyme placed five runners among the top seven to sweep Fitch and Montville in a tri-meet at Haley Farm in Groton. The Vikings (9-0, 3-0) beat Fitch 17-38 in ECC Division I and Montville 20-35, while the Falcons (6-3, 0-3) defeated the Indians 24-33. Mady Whittaker was the overall winner for Montville (5-3) in 17:18 while East Lyme's Jilly Goodwin, Madison Sjastron and Brie Am Ende finished 2-3-4, respectively, followed by Fitch's Julia Adrian in fifth and the Vikings' Cyd Sager and Samantha Lyster in sixth and seventh, respectively.
• Lindsey Arends (21:32) and Stella DiPippo (21:49) gave Woodstock Academy a 1-2 finish as it beat Norwich Free Academy 24-31 in an ECC Division I meet and Stonington 21-35. Eve Buckridge finished fourth and Madison Martin fifth, respectively, for NFA (6-2, 1-2), which edged Stonington 22-27. Lindsey Orr placed third for the Bears (7-3).
• St. Bernard split an ECC Division IV tri-meet at Griswold, beating the Wolverines 15-40 and edging Lyman Memorial 27-28. Brigid Kunka was the individual winner for the Saints (6-3, 3-1) in 20:52 while Serena Britner finished third in 22:17 and Lillian Turner fourth in 22:27.
• Waterford split an ECC Division II tri-meet at Killingly, defeating the host Redgals 15-50 while losing to Bacon Academy 19-44. Bacon's Jordan Malloy was the individual winner in 21:38 while Catherine Saucier was second for the Lancers (1-9, 1-3) in 22:47.
• East Lyme completed a perfect season by sweeping a tri-meet from Fitch and Montville at Haley Farm in Groton. The Vikings (10-0, 3-0) defeated the Falcons 21-36 in an ECC Division I meet and Montville 17-46. Fitch (7-2, 1-2) also defeated the Indians 17-46. East Lyme was led by the 1-2-3 finish of Sam Whittaker (16:59), Chris Abbey (17:34) and Noah Barnhart (17:35), while Fitch's Ian Poe (17:58), Ryan Poe (18:30 and Shea Kenney (18:40) finished 4-5-6. Jayden Colon was seventh (18:45) to lead Montville (5-4).
• Dylan McGuire finished first and Aidan Brown third as NFA had four of the top five finishers to win its quad-meet against Stonington, Windham and Woodstock. NFA beat Woodstock 16-47 in an ECC Division I meet. The Wildcats (8-1, 2-1) also topped Stonington (16-47) and Windham (15-50). Woodstock beat Stonington 23-32. Nathan Gonzalez placed seventh for Stonington (6-6).
• Waterford suffered its first loss in ECC Division II, losing to Bacon Academy 25-30 while defeating host Killingly 16-47. Aiden Pepin finished third overall for the Lancers (6-4, 3-1) in 17:38 while Sam Lenes was fourth in 18:12, Eric Zane was sixth in 18:43, Chris Montoya was eighth in 19:00 and Owen Seltzer was 10th in 19:00. Bacon's Andrew Janus was the individual winner in 17:35.
• Wheeler split an ECC Division IV tri-meet at Plainfield, losing to the host Panthers 20-34 and beating Putnam 15-50. Michael Carroll finished third for the Lions (2-7, 2-2) in 20:42 while Cameron Reyes was fifth in 21:06 and Joe Giesing was ninth in 23:42.
Stories that may interest you
Ledyard defeated host Norwich Free Academy 46-29 in the championship match of the Carl Snitkin Duals wrestling tournament on Saturday.