Maine man killed by home booby trap he had rigged
A man was shot to death on Thanksgiving night by a booby trap device he had apparently rigged in his home, officials say.
The deceased, identified by police as 65-year-old Ronald Cyr of Van Buren, Maine, called 911 after he was shot by his self-made home security device and was taken to a hospital, Van Buren police said in a Friday news release.
"Regretfully, Mr. Cyr succumbed to the injuries sustained from the gunshot," Van Buren Police said.
Police later determined the shooting was the result of Cyr unintentionally triggering the device.
Investigators at the scene later saw the booby trap themselves when they discovered Cyr's front door was rigged with a device "designed to fire a handgun should anyone attempt to enter the door," according to the statement. Police reportedly found other "unknown devices" in Cyr's home that prompted police to call the Maine State Police Bomb Squad.
Van Buren, a predominantly rural town in northern Maine 320 miles from Portland, sits along the St. John River directly across the U.S.-Canada border and includes a land-based port of entry.
Agencies involved with the investigation, which include the Van Buren Police Department, the Aroostook County Sheriff's Office, the Maine Warden Service and U.S. Customs and Border Protection, did not immediately respond to requests for additional information.
While Maine law permits the use of deadly force against home intruders in many cases, the U.S. Supreme Court has held that booby traps - generally defined as any covert or concealed device designed to cause injury or death when triggered - are illegal.
Mostly recently, a man in southern Illinois was convicted last year of first-degree murder after a booby-trapped shotgun he had rigged killed a man on his rural property.
Stories that may interest you
Powerful winds in the northeastern U.S. have left tens of thousands of residents without power
Town and city clerks across Connecticut have been beefing up their manpower to process an unprecedented number of applications for absentee election ballots that have been fueled by the coronavirus pandemic
Gov. Ned Lamont says Connecticut expects to receive about 1 million new rapid COVID-19 tests from the federal government and will use them to help make sure schools stay open
Hundreds of thousands of elementary school students are heading back to classrooms starting Tuesday as New York City enters a high-stakes phase of resuming in-person learning during the coronavirus pandemic