H.S. cross country: Wheeler girls sweep ECC Division IV tri-meet
Plainfield — Wheeler completed a perfect regular season in Eastern Connecticut Conference Division IV girls' cross country with 15-50 victories over Plainfield and Putnam on Tuesday.
The Lions (4-5, 4-0) swept the top three spots with Brittney Riggins the overall winner in 29:01 followed by Miranda Pabst in 29:40 and Kristian Ram in 31:09.
In other meets:
• East Lyme placed five runners among the top seven to sweep Fitch and Montville in a tri-meet at Haley Farm in Groton. The Vikings (9-0, 3-0) beat Fitch 17-38 in ECC Division I and Montville 20-35, while the Falcons (6-3, 0-3) defeated the Indians 24-33. Mady Whittaker was the overall winner for Montville (5-3) in 17:18 while East Lyme's Jilly Goodwin, Madison Sjastron and Brie Am Ende finished 2-3-4, respectively, followed by Fitch's Julia Adrian in fifth and the Vikings' Cyd Sager and Samantha Lyster in sixth and seventh, respectively.
• Lindsey Arends (21:32) and Stella DiPippo (21:49) gave Woodstock Academy a 1-2 finish as it beat Norwich Free Academy 24-31 in an ECC Division I meet and Stonington 21-35. Eve Buckridge finished fourth and Madison Martin fifth, respectively, for NFA (6-2, 1-2), which edged Stonington 22-27. Lindsey Orr placed third for the Bears (7-3).
• St. Bernard split an ECC Division IV tri-meet at Griswold, beating the Wolverines 15-40 and edging Lyman Memorial 27-28. Brigid Kunka was the individual winner for the Saints (6-3, 3-1) in 20:52 while Serena Britner finished third in 22:17 and Lillian Turner fourth in 22:27.
• Waterford split an ECC Division II tri-meet at Killingly, defeating the host Redgals 15-50 while losing to Bacon Academy 19-44. Bacon's Jordan Malloy was the individual winner in 21:38 while Catherine Saucier was second for the Lancers (1-9, 1-3) in 22:47.
• East Lyme completed a perfect season by sweeping a tri-meet from Fitch and Montville at Haley Farm in Groton. The Vikings (10-0, 3-0) defeated the Falcons 21-36 in an ECC Division I meet and Montville 17-46. Fitch (7-2, 1-2) also defeated the Indians 17-46. East Lyme was led by the 1-2-3 finish of Sam Whittaker (16:59), Chris Abbey (17:34) and Noah Barnhart (17:35), while Fitch's Ian Poe (17:58), Ryan Poe (18:30 and Shea Kenney (18:40) finished 4-5-6. Jayden Colon was seventh (18:45) to lead Montville (5-4).
• Dylan McGuire finished first and Aidan Brown third as NFA had four of the top five finishers to win its quad-meet against Stonington, Windham and Woodstock. NFA beat Woodstock 16-47 in an ECC Division I meet. The Wildcats (8-1, 2-1) also topped Stonington (16-47) and Windham (15-50). Woodstock beat Stonington 23-32. Nathan Gonzalez placed seventh for Stonington (6-6).
• Waterford suffered its first loss in ECC Division II, losing to Bacon Academy 25-30 while defeating host Killingly 16-47. Aiden Pepin finished third overall for the Lancers (6-4, 3-1) in 17:38 while Sam Lenes was fourth in 18:12, Eric Zane was sixth in 18:43, Chris Montoya was eighth in 19:00 and Owen Seltzer was 10th in 19:00. Bacon's Andrew Janus was the individual winner in 17:35.
• Wheeler split an ECC Division IV tri-meet at Plainfield, losing to the host Panthers 20-34 and beating Putnam 15-50. Michael Carroll finished third for the Lions (2-7, 2-2) in 20:42 while Cameron Reyes was fifth in 21:06 and Joe Giesing was ninth in 23:42.
Stories that may interest you
Valley/Old Lyme 14, Cromwell/Portland 0, 3rd Bacon 35, Stonington 7, final Griswold/Wheeler 35, Ledyard 12, final Waterford 62, Montville 20, final
A look ahead at the Week 2 matchups involving local high school football teams.
There are times Jack Biggs, who coaches baseball and volleyball at East Lyme High School, thinks of asking Sophie Dubreuil, an outside hitter on the volleyball team, if she still has her baseball glove kicking around from her days as a Little League and Babe Ruth whiz kid.