High school roundup: Baker strikes out 17 as Wheeler baseball edges Windham, 3-2
Norwich — Bowen Baker pitched a four-hitter with 17 strikeouts and one earned run and Matt Pearce hit the game-winning single as the Wheeler baseball team edged Windham on Saturday, 3-2, in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division IV game at Dodd Stadium.
Pearce hit his single in the bottom of the fifth inning to put the Lions ahead, 3-2. Aidan Cameron also went 2-for-3 and scored for Wheeler (2-1, 2-0).
In other games:
• Brian Miskiewicz allowed just two hits over five innings with 11 strikeouts to earn the win as NFA downed Norwich Tech in six innings, 11-1. Dom Morabito and Jaisyn Bulkley each had two RBI for NFA (3-1) and Vinny Gualtieri added three hits. The Warriors are 0-4.
• Ben Jerome's two-out, two-run double in the fifth inning put Waterford ahead for good, and then added an insurance run when he stole home later in the inning in Waterford's 3-1 win over South Kingstown (R.I.). Jared Burrows (1-0) went the first five innings and gave up three hits with eight strikeouts, and Ryan Bakken earned his second save by going the final two innings.
• Tait Sawden pitched a one-hitter with four strikeouts as Old Lyme blanked Westbrook in five innings, 10-0, in the Shoreline Conference. Eli St. Germain had two hits, including a double, with three runs and two RBI for Old Lyme (3-1) and Zander Riggs added three hits, including a double, with four RBI. Also, Dan Kendall had two hits. The White Knights are 2-2.
• Harry Snow drove in three runs as Bacon Academy won its first game of the season, 8-1 over New London in an ECC Division II game. Bacon is 1-2, 1-0. Jesus Escarraman homered for New London (0-3, 0-1).
• Portsmouth Abbey beat St. Thomas More, 11-9. Brady Smolinski hit a bases-clearing double for T-More.
• Bailey Comeau pitched a three-hitter with 14 strikeouts and helped her cause with four hits, including two doubles, at the plate as NFA downed East Lyme, 14-1, in the ECC Division I opener for both teams. Julie Vincent also had four hits, including three doubles, for NFA (3-0, 1-0), which scored eight in the top of the seventh inning. The Vikings are 1-3, 0-1.
• Alexis Michon pitched a two-hitter with 11 strikeouts and hit a RBI triple with two outs in the bottom of the fifth to pace Montville past Plainfield, 1-0, in the ECC Division III opener for both teams. Eva Peltier scored for Montville (3-0, 1-0) and Rori Curran went 2-for-3.
• Alyson Cabral scored the go-ahead run on a wild pitch as Fitch put up four runs in the top of the seventh inning to beat Woodstock Academy for its first win of the season, 7-6, in an ECC Division I game. Karly Morales went 4-for-4, including two doubles and a triple, with two RBI for Fitch (1-2, 1-0) and Allison Georgetti had two hits, including a double, with two RBI. Also, Olivia Carney and Cabral both had an RBI single.
• Kaitlyn Davis hit a walk-off RBI double as Griswold spoiled Waterford’s wild rally, 8-7 in an eight-inning ECC Division II game. Waterford trailed 5-0 after three innings and 7-1 with two outs in the seventh. Anna Donahue had two hits, including a bases-clearing double to tie the game at 7, for Waterford (2-2, 1-1). Also, Ciana Chiappone had two hits, two runs and an RBI, Emma Marelli had an RBI single and scored, and Rachel Miller had two hits and scored.
• Isabelle Perez had three hits, including a double, with four runs and two RBI for Windham in its 13-3 win over Wheeler in an ECC Division IV game. Marissa Bergel had two hits and two runs for Wheeler (0-3, 0-2) and Julie Rudd added three hits, including a double.
• Alli Silva, Jennifer Leblanc and Kasey Kirchoff all won in straight sets as Waterford won its first match of the season, 6-1 over East Lyme. Waterford is 1-2. Anna Slopak won for NFA 0-3.
• The East Lyme beat Guilford, 5:54.5 to 6:07.8. Billie Hazan (coxswain), Jamie Toole (bow), and Jennie Sherwood, Sammi Todaro, Abby Lottridge, Amelia Anglin, Julia Fenn, Sarah Fulcher, and Hannah Miller (stroke) rowed for East Lyme.
The East Lyme boys also beat Guilford, 4:49.7 to 4:54.8. East Lyme’s boat was comprised of Brooklyn Geida (coxswain), Nolan Deschenes (bow), and Andruis Kervelevicius, Jonathan Northcutt, Jack Derry, Kent Place, DJ Bond, Jacob Peters, and Peyton Bonura (stroke).
Stories that may interest you
Ledyard High School named Allyn Quibble head wrestling coach and Tim Strong boys' outdoor track coach on Tuesday, as announced by athletic director and assistant principal Jim Buonocore.