H.S. roundup: Stonington boys beat Fitch as Montalto scores three goals
Groton — Sophomore Sam Montalto scored all three goals as Stonington remained unbeaten with a 3-0 boys' soccer victory over Fitch on Saturday.
Tyler Fidrych assisted on all three goals for the Bears (9-0-2), who led 2-0 at halftime.
Peter Fernholz and Dorian White combined for two saves for Stonington and Ramiro Zavala made two saves for Fitch (8-3), which had a five-match winning streak snapped.
In other games:
• Anthony Caracogia scored twice and had an assist as Cromwell beat Old Lyme 4-0 in a Shoreline Conference match. Ryan Tetreault made 11 saves for Old Lyme (5-3-2, 3-3-1).
• Kaleigh Andrew and Kayla Park scored two goals apiece as Norwich Free Academy outlasted Montville 4-2. Hannah Daniewicz added an assist for the Wildcats (4-5-1) and goalie Caitlin Daley made 10 saves. Kiera MacCracken and Jill Murallo scored the goals for the Indians (3-6-2), both assisted by Alexis DeLucia, while goalie Julia Beaupre stopped 18 shots.
• Alexis Fenton scored two goals and had an assist and Emily DeRoehn had a goal and an assist as Old Lyme won for the second straight day with a 6-2 victory over Coginchaug in the Shoreline Conference. Lydia Tinnerello, Grace Lathrop and Hannah Brit also scored for the Wildcats (8-1-1, 6-1-1), Abby Manthous added an assist and goalie Sam Gray made six saves.
• Stonington scored all five goals in the first half during a 5-2 victory over Killingly in an Eastern Connecticut Conference match. Ellie Korinek had three goals for the Bears (6-2-1, 6-0-1) while Olivia Monte had two goals and one assist, Sandy McGugan had a pair of assists and goalie Claire Evans made six saves.
• North Branford rallied for a 3-2 victory over Old Lyme in the Shoreline Conference. Game scores were 19-25, 18-25, 25-16, 25-19 and 15-9. Maddie Cann had eight kills and 16 digs for the Wildcats while Leah Fouquette added six kills and 18 digs and Isabel Dean-Frazier had 24 assists.
• Waterford junior Aidan Pepin finished seventh (17:00) in the unseeded race at the Wickham Park Invitational in Manchester. Also placing in the top 50 were Stonington's Ryan Gruczka (30th, 17:57), Ledyard's Simon Reichert (31st, 17:58), Stonington's Nathan Gonzalez (40th, 18:10) and New London's Rashawn Wright (41st, 18:11).
In the girls' unseeded race, four local runners were among the top 50 finishers. Ledyard's Ally Tran was 34th (22:12) followed by Fitch's Ava Paprocki (39th, 22:19(, Stonington's Bobbie Doherty (43rd, 22:26) and Ledyard's Katherine Harren (47th, 22:31).
• Riley Levine (200-yard individual medley), Lucy Blanco (500 freestyle), Gloria Ng (100 backstroke) and Hope O'Lari (100 breaststroke) won individual events during NFA's win over Lyman Memorial/Windham/Parish Hill in the ECC on Friday night. Ng, Sophia Tung, Riley Levine, Dylan Levine also teamed up to win the 200 freestyle relay and 200 medley relay for the Wildcats (2-6, 2-4).