H.S. soccer roundup: Montalto leads Stonington past Fitch 4-1
Stonington — Sam Montalto scored two goals and assisted on a third as the Stonington boys' soccer team avenged its only loss of the season with a 4-1 win over Fitch in an Eastern Connecticut Conference game on Saturday night.
Will Sawin and Cole Devoe also scored for the Bears (5-1), who were beaten by the Falcons 3-2 in sudden death on Oct. 10. Fitch is 2-4.
In other games:
• Dominic Ranelli scored in sudden death overtime to lift St. Bernard to a 2-1 win over Plainfield in an ECC game. Umberti Likollari had a goal for the Saints (1-2) and Marty Arvidson and Nathan Belchik combined for 11 saves. Landon Pettigrew Foster scored for Plainfield.
• Daimon Pollard had three goals and an assist and Joey Burton scored twice as Ledyard beat Lyman Memorial 6-0 in an ECC game. Tyler LaPerle had a goal and an assist, Elijah Stein and Nick Washington had assists and Blake McLeod made six saves for the Colonels (4-2). Zach Merritt made nine saves for Lyman (1-4), which was outshot 24-12.
• Montville remained unbeaten with a 2-0 win over Wheeler in an ECC game. Liam Cook and Aaron Muncaster scored for Montville (6-0) and teammate Isaiah Gallagher made four saves. Matt Ryan had six saves for Wheeler (2-3).
• Sophomore Carly Constantine scored a goal and had an assist as Stonington beat Fitch 4-2 in an ECC game. Maysa Gray, Amelia Caron and Carleigh O'Keefe had goals, Tori LoPresto made eight saves and Ivy Goodman had an assist for Stonington (4-0-1). Avery Lyon and Ashley Spreng scored goals, Carly Zingus had an assist and Francesca Foster made 15 saves for Fitch (2-4).
• Jess English scored a pair of goals as Ledyard beat New London 5-0 in an ECC game. English also had an assist while Sarah Bailey, Emily Bailey and Abby Dirico also scored for the Colonels (1-4-1).
• Plainfield beat Lyman Memorial 4-1 in an ECC game. Kasey Cook scored for Lyman (1-2) and teammate Morgan Tartaglia made 10 saves.
Stories that may interest you
Vanessa Benjamin and Carleigh Keefe both scored for Stonington in its 2-0 win over East Lyme on Friday night in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division I girls' soccer game.
The Eastern Connecticut Conference's postseason cross country meets, scheduled for Wednesday at Harkness Memorial State Park and Woodstock Academy, were canceled Friday due to concerns related to COVID-19.
Officials from the Eastern Connecticut Conference decided Thursday to postpone the upcoming high school football combine because of concerns related to COVID-19.
All of our stories about the coronavirus are being provided free of charge as a service to the public. You can find all of our stories here.
You can support local journalism by subscribing to The Day.