H.S. roundup: Caron's late goal lifts Stonington girls past East Lyme
Stonington — Amelia Caron's goal with 11 minutes remaining broke a 1-1 tie and lifted Stonington to a 2-1 victory over East Lyme in an Eastern Connecticut Conference girls' soccer game on Tuesday night.
Vanessa Benjamin, who assisted on the game-winner, also scored for the Bears (8-1-1) while Sabbadini assisted on Benjamin's goal.
Meredith Healy scored for the Vikings (3-6.)
In other matches:
• Unbeaten Bacon Academy won for the second straight day with a 3-0 victory over Ledyard in the ECC. The Bobcats (7-0-1) picked up goals from Tianna Croskey, Skylar Gustavsen and Marissa Nudd. Gustavsen has nine goals, including goals in four straight games, while it was the first career goal for Nudd, a sophomore. The Colonels, who tied Bacon 1-1 earlier in the season are 2-7-1.
• Stephanie St. Jean scored twice for Plainfield in its 5-0 win over Wheeler in an ECC Division II game. Sophia Rodriguez, Angelina Giovanni and Maddie Pearson also scored for the Panthers. Addie Hauptmann had 15 saves for the Lions (1-5-1).
• Anders Silberberg scored both goals as Old Lyme battled Hale-Ray to a 2-2 draw in the Shoreline Conference. Jesper Silberberg and Mike Milazzo each had assists for the Wildcats (5-2-2) and goalie Jonah Lathrop made one save. Matt Conroy scored both goals for Hale-Ray and goalie Loudon Chupas had 12 saves.
• Waterford outlasted Ledyard 3-2 in the ECC. Game scores were 16-25, 25-22, 25-20, 24-26 and 15-10. Angela Colonis had 27 assists, 12 digs and two aces for the Lancers (7-1) while Lily Kramer added 10 kills, three blocks and three aces, Kate Lange had 12 kills, 11 digs and three aces and Emily Mitchell had 14 digs and two aces. The Colonels (4-5) were led by Paige Perkins with nine kills and six aces, Codee Carroll with 19 digs and five aces, and Hannah Avila had 18 assists and 12 digs.
• Woodstock Academy defeated New London 25-22, 25-6 and 25-10 in the ECC. Caylee Parker had two aces, six kills, two blocks and six digs for the Whalers (2-7) while Cheryann Lubin had two aces, eight service points, one kills and five digs, Wennonah Amar had six assists and four digs and Yarielis Ortiz had nine digs.
• Melanie Warren had 14 digs during Old Lyme's 25-16, 25-9 and 25-14 in the Shoreline Conference. Abby Speckhals added seven assists for the Wildcats (4-5).
• Anna Lu won the 200 freestyle (2:07.89) and 100 backstroke (1:08.16) to highlight East Lyme's 88-75 virtual victory over Waterford. Grace Vlaun (200 IM, 2:24.31), Lauren Hinckley (50 free, 27.49), Grace Liu (100 butterfly, 1:11.57) and Nikki Hahn (100 breaststroke, 1:14.03) also won races for the Vikings (3-0). Viviana Martinez won the 100 free (1:05.28) and Em Gerbath the 500 free (6:31.35) for the Lancers.
All of our stories about the coronavirus are being provided free of charge as a service to the public. You can find all of our stories here.
You can support local journalism by subscribing to The Day.