Local roundup: New London Legion keeps rolling in state tourney
South Windsor — Cooper Robinson pitched a complete game three-hitter and worked out of a bases-loaded jam in the ninth inning to preserve New London's 2-0 victory over South Windsor in the opening game of the Connecticut American Legion Northern Division championship tournament Saturday at Rotary Field.
Nwe London, the Zone VI champion, advanced to the winners' bracket final of the four-team event at 4:30 p.m. Sunday against Rocky Hill/Cromwell/Portland, which beat Simsbury 4-3 in 11 innings in the other first-round game. The Northern Division winner advances to a best-of-three series for the state championship beginning Friday night at Palmer Field in Middletown.
Robinson walked four and struck out eight, his final strikeout coming with the bases loaded in the ninth to end the game.
New London took 1-0 lead in the first on consecutive singles by Jeremy Santos, Justin Marceau and Pieter Khoury, then added an insurance run for Cooper in the eighth when Marceau doubled and scored on Khoury's second RBI single of the game.
Schooners blank Plymouth
• Sam Nepiarsky (UConn) pitched seven shutout innings, allowing just four hits and striking out six, as the Mystic Schooners defeated the Plymouth Pilgrims 4-0 in a New England Collegiate Baseball League game. Leading 1-0 courtesy of a Dan Hoy (Princeton) RBI single in the sixth, Mystic (22-15) broke the game open with three runs in the eighth, scoring when Jake Meyers (Nebraska) was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded and then adding two more on infield outs.
Tigers edge Vermont
• Shane Zeile's RBI single scored Joey Havrilak (triple) with one out in the ninth to break a 4-4 tie and give the Connecticut Tigers a 5-4 win over the Vermont Lake Monsters in a New York-Penn League game in Burlington, Vt. Zeile's three-run homer in the first highlighted a four-run start for the Tigers (17-17).
East Region JL (13-14) softball
• Trinity Lennon pitched a three-hitter as Pawcatuck/Westerly opened play in the East Region Junior League (13-14) softball tournament with a 10-0 victory over North Smithfield (R.I.) in Orange. The game was called after five innings due to the mercy rule. Pawcatuck/Westerly will play Massachusetts in a winners' bracket game at 11:30 a.m. Monday. Lennon walked one and struck out seven for Pawcatuck/Westerly and also went 3-for-4 with three RBI. Miranda Arruda was also 3-for-4 with a double and Briana Beverly was 2-for-4 with one RBI.
New England Babe Ruth (14)
• Nashua (N.H.) scored six runs in the third inning and held on to eliminate East Lyme 6-4 in the losers' bracket of the New England Babe Ruth 14-year-old tournament in Westfield, Mass. East Lyme scored a run in the seventh and had the bases loaded before Nashua held on. Matt Malcolm had two hits and one RBI for the Connecticut champions while Jacob Diaz added two hits, Liam Holloway reached base three times with a run and RBI, Tom Mason had a hit and an RBI and Eddie Kaftan had a hit and scored twice.
State LL (11-12) Div. 3 baseball
• Waterford advanced to the Connecticut Little League Division 3 baseball championship with a 19-1 victory over Madison in four innings. Waterford will play Newington in Sunday's final at 1 p.m. in West Hartford with the winner advancing to the four-team double-elimination tournament for the state championship. Luke Sokolski was the winning pitcher and also had a home run for Waterford while Jared Burrows had three hits, including a home run and triple, Matt Sanford had a homer and single, Trevor D'Amico homered and Ryan Bakken, Trey Brennan, Robert Zawacki and Ben Jerome each had a single and double.
State LL (11-12) Div. 4 baseball
• Brian Miskiewicz pitched a one-hitter as Norwich advanced to the Connecticut Little League Division 4 baseball championship with a 10-0 win over Mansfield at Windsor Locks. Norwich will play Ellington in Sunday's final at 3 p.m. with the winner advancing to the four-team double-elimination tournament for the state championship. Miskiewicz, Jacob Crowley and Gavin Thorburn hit home runs to pace the Norwich offense.
State LL (9-10) Div. 3 softball
• Waterford advanced to the championship game of the Connecticut Little League (9-10) Division 3 tournament with a 10-0 win over Rocky Hill at Waterford South. Waterford will play Cromwell for the title at 5:30 p.m. Sunday. Anna Dziecinny and Maddie Burrows combined for a no-hitter with 12 strikeouts for Waterford while Milena Walker had a home run, double and single. Abby Maynard had two hits and scored four times while Burrows had three hits, Tori Kiefer had a single and double, Anna Donahue and Emma Marelli had two hits each and Dziecinny doubled.
Stories that may interest you
Connecticut College broke a 2-2 tie with a four-goal third period and beat Albertus Magnus 6-2 in a men's hockey game on Sunday.
BASEBALL/SOFTBALLEastern Connecticut Board of umpires — Looking for new members for the high school and American Legion baseball seasons. Contact: Matt McShane, email@example.com, (860) 908-7609.Eastern Connecticut Board of softball umpires...