Local roundup: Ledyard boys beat Bacon 1-0 in ECC Div. II soccer
Ledyard — Ledyard remained unbeaten in Eastern Connecticut Conference Division II play with a 1-0 boys' soccer victory over Bacon Academy on Monday afternoon.
It was the fifth straight victory for the Colonels (6-1, 4-0), who scored the only goal when Ian Kamperschroer converted a penalty kick in the 26th minute.
Both teams had 19 shots on goal. Ken Turner stopped nine shots for Ledyard and Ioannis Valkanos made 11 saves for Bacon.
In other games:
• Ian Spracklin had three goals and an assist as Wheeler shut out Putnam 5-0 to remain unbeaten in ECC Division IV. Lucas Jones had a goal and an assist, Scott Pion scored, and Bowen Baker had four saves for the Lions (4-2, 4-0).
• St. Bernard erupted for five goals in the second half to defeat Plainfield 6-1 in an ECC Division IV match. Billy Niles and Shane Sutton scored two goals apiece for the Saints (4-2, 3-1) while Dan Kelly and Tenzin Jamphel added on goal apiece and goalie Martin Arvidson made four saves.
• Reid Butler's goal with eight seconds remaining lifted Woodstock Academy to a 1-0 victory over Waterford in an ECC Division II game. Goalie A.J. Sachatello had eight saves for the Lancers (1-5, 1-3).
• Drew Archer had a goal and an assist to lift Lyman Memorial to a 4-1 win over Montville in an ECC Division III match. The Bulldogs (5-0-1, 4-0) led 3-0 at halftime. Tyler Velazquez, assisted by Sean Murallo, scored in the 64th minute for the Indians (5-2, 2-2) and goalie Keaton Sulman made six saves.
• Norwich Tech scored three goals in the first half and held on to defeat Cheney Tech 3-2 in the Connecticut Technical Conference. Kevin Porras scored a pair of goals for the Warriors, Ismaeil DePina added one goal, Kenny McKenna assisted on Porras' second goal and goalie Don Duca made seven saves.
• David Saturno scored there goals, two in the first eight minutes, as Morgan defeated Old Lyme 4-0 in the Shoreline Conference. Goalie Ryan Tetreault made 10 saves for Old Lyme.
• Old Lyme played Hand to a 1-1 non-conference tie in Madison. Kayla Howard had given Hand (3-0-2) in the eighth minute on a goal by Kayla Howard, but the Wildcats struck only a minute later when Ciara Klimaszewski scored off an assist from Mya Johnson. Sam Gray made six saves in goal for Old Lyme (2-1-2).
• Junior Claire Hurley of Waterford scored Coast Guard Academy's only goal in a 3-1 non-conference loss to Johnson & Wales. Sophomore Kylee Ballard and freshman Brielle Pearce each had an assist while goalie Katharina Commins had a career-high nine saves for the Bears (4-4).
• Katie Reid had seven assists and Maddie Cann added five digs in Old Lyme's shutout loss to Haddam-Killingworth in Shoreline Conference action. Game scores were 25-13, 25-13 and 25-8. The Wildcats dropped to 0-6.
• Waterford beat Bacon Academy 3-1 in an ECC Division II match. Game scores were 23-25, 25-23, 25-16 and 25-14. Olivia Pacheco had 11 aces while Rachel Miller had 14 kills and Gretchen Dusza added 17 assists for the Lancers (5-2, 3-0).
• Ledyard swept Killingly 25-13, 26-24 and 25-23 in an ECC Division II match. Katie Krupansky had seven kills and nine digs, Tajeah Winston had 10 service points and seven kills, Lexy Hanes added five blocks and Miranda Chesnut had five aces for the Colonels (3-4, 2-1).
• Haley Kerwin had six kills and six digs in Montville's 3-0 loss to Lyman Memorial in an ECC Division III match. Game scores were 26-24, 25-21 and 25-22. Mackenzie Ullrich had 10 assists, Gabby Beal 11 digs and Abby Diamantini nine digs for the Indians (6-2, 2-1).
• Norwich Free Academy rallied past Fitch 25-23, 20-25, 17-25, 25-22 and 15-9 in a five-set ECC Division I thriller. Eilana Jewell contributed 14 kills and 21 digs, Sarah Ericson had nine kills, 12 digs and five aces, and Bella Llano added 15 assists and 14 digs for the Wildcats (4-2, 1-2). Nora Ryan had 15 kills and Olivia Carney added 19 assists for the Falcons (4-3, 0-3).
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES