Local roundup: Murko, Marcolina lead Fitch swimming cooperative past NFA
Groton — AJ Murko and John Marcolina won two events each as the Fitch/Stonington/Ledyard/Norwich Tech cooperative team beat Norwich Free Academy 101-65 in an Eastern Connecticut Conference swim meet Tuesday.
Murko won the 200-yard freestyle (1:56.93) and 100 backstroke (1:00.37) and Marcolina won the 100 freestyle (54.73) and 100 breaststroke (1:05.57). Chase Simao and Nathanael Padgett also won events for Fitch (2-0, 2-0) and Sam Youtt, Keegan Reck, Maxwell Cartier, Ian Sanok, Samuel Heilig, Marcolina and Padgett teamed up to win two relays.
Jeffrey Ng of NFA (0-1, 0-1) won the 50 freestyle (23.71), 100 butterfly (1:01.16) and teamed with Keith Johnson, Wyatt Gordan and Alex Ji to win the 400 freestyle relay.
In other meets:
• Evan Lombardo won the 200 individual medley (2:26.74) and swam on two winning relay teams as East Lyme downed Waterford 107-71 in an ECC meet. Erik Stelter won the 100 freestyle (55.63) for the Vikings (2-0, 1-0) and teamed with Powall Wang, Ryan Huang and Lombardo to win the 200 freestyle relay (1:38.85). Robert Hahn won the 500 freestyle (5:14.91) and teamed with Jack Zhang, Huang and Lombardo to win the 200 medley relay (1:50.94). Jason Blain won the 1-meter dive (194.95) and Dan Estrin the 100 butterfly (1:03.23) for Waterford (2-1, 2-1).
• Coast Guard lost to Springfield 63-50 in a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference game. Freshman Kyra Hartman led Coast Guard (3-10, 2-3) with 23 points. Gracie Restituyo had 15 points and 16 rebounds for Springfield (9-5, 5-0).
• Avery Point lost to Navy Prep 74-62. Waterford's Mia Brennan scored 31 points with eight assists, Ashley Burke had 11 points and Rebekah Sanders of Quaker Hill had 13 rebounds and four steals for Avery Point (8-5).
• Dan Draffan scored 12 points and had 10 rebounds as Connecticut College beat Fisher 71-49. David Labossiere had 12 points and eight rebounds for Conn (5-8).
• Avery Point lost to Navy Prep 86-40. Norwich's Maloyid Perkins scored 19 points and East Lyme's JR Gandenberger had five assists for Avery Point (4-11).
• Mitchell College lost to Becker 82-66 in a New England Collegiate Conference game. Steffen Brunson had 17 points and eight rebounds, Hasani Williams had 13 points and nine rebounds and Waterford's Landon Peabody came off the bench to score 10 for Mitchell (7-5, 2-2).
• Connecticut College used a pair of third-period goals to rally for a 2-1 win over Salem State. Elena Gualtieri and Erin Dillon had the goals for Conn (5-4-2), Kylie Wilkes had two assists and Carly Denora made seven saves.
• Alexander Potochniak scored 179 out of 200 as Grasso Tech opened its season with an 876-713 win over Wilcox Tech. Seth Frates scored 178 and Rick Dunn 177 for Grasso.
Stories that may interest you
Alexis Garcia's three-run home run highlighted at five-run sixth inning that carried the Connecticut Tigers to a 12-7 victory over the Lowell Spinners in the New York-Penn League on Saturday night.
Stonington High School is turning two a pair of alumni to lead its cross country and boys' basketball programs.