Local roundup: Mystic advances to LL baseball final; Groton/Mystic wins LL softball sectional
Killingworth — Liam Joyce pitched a four-hitter with seven strikeouts as Mystic blanked Madison on Saturday, 4-0, to advance to the championship game of the state Little League baseball (10-12) Section 3 tournament.
Hayden Chappel, Finn Eck, Dylan Joyce, and Griffin Pollard all had hits for Mystic. It will play Monday night at the same site at 5:30 against the winner of Sunday’s game between Madison and Wethersfield.
LL softball (8-10)
• Groton/Mystic won the Section 3 tournament with a 10-1 win over Glastonbury. Jillian Fugere pitched a three-hitter with 10 strikeouts for the win. Groton/Mystic opens state tournament play in a game against Section 4 winner Preston/Jewett City on Sunday at 12:30 p.m., in Mansfield. Jaedyn Steffens had three hits and scored three runs and Fugere drove in three runs with an inside-the-park home run for Groton/Mystic.
LL baseball (11-13)
• Derrel Mitchell allowed just two hits over six innings with 15 strikeouts and no walks and helped his cause by hitting a home run as New London/Mystic beat Lincoln/Sudbury (Mass.), 4-2, in a losers' bracket game at the Intermediate League Eastern Regional tournament in Commack, N.Y. Martin Light had two hits and earned the save, Sid Bulusu had two hits, and Landon Hill had three of New London/Mystic’s seven stolen bases. New London/Mystic plays Clinton County (Pa.) on Sunday at 9 a.m.
• Daniel Eggler went 3-for-4, including a double, with two RBI and a run as Norwich downed Simsbury, 9-3, in a Northern Division Sectional first-round game. Anthony Ladouceur scattered three hits over four innings with one earned run for the win and Adam Blais finished the game for Norwich (12-12). Also, Riley Burke had a single, three RBI and scored and Kevin Pomroy singled and scored three times. Norwich plays at Waterford in a second round game on Sunday at 10 a.m.
• Ryan O'Connell pitched a shutout as Waterford beat South Windsor 1-0.
• Niantic opened play with a 4-3 loss to Southington. It'll play at RCP in the losers' bracket on Sunday at 1 p.m.
New York-Penn League
• Wilmer Reyes had two hits, including a two-run home run, with three RBI as the Brooklyn Cyclones beat the Connecticut Tigers, 6-1. Chandler Avant had two hits, including an RBI double, and scored twice for Brooklyn (20-14). Corey Joyce had two hits and scored for the Tigers (16-19) and Kona Quiggle hit an RBI single.
• UConn's Ben Maycock hit an RBI single in the bottom of the 10th inning as the Mystic Schooners beat the New Bedford Bay Sox 7-6 in a New England Collegiate Baseball League game on Friday night. David Beam (East Tennessee) had a two-run double in the bottom of the ninth for the Schooners to tie the game at 6-6. Steven Barmakian (George Washington) and Jerome Huntzinger (Seton Hall) had three hits each for Mystic (18-14) and Beam and Maycock had two hits each while Huntzinger drove in three runs.
New York-Penn League
• The Connecticut Tigers beat the Aberdeen IronBirds 2-1 in the second game of Friday night's doubleheader. Corey Joyce had an RBI single in the sixth inning for the Tigers (16-18).
Stories that may interest you
Tallie Williams scored 12 points and grabbed 13 rebounds as Ledyard surprised Waterford 41-35 in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division II girls' basketball game on Tuesday night.