Local roundup: Conn College men fall to No. 21 Wesleyan
New London — Wesleyan placed five players in double figures and beat Connecticut College 84-64 in a New England Small College Athletic Conference men's basketball game on Sunday.
Shackylle Dezonie and Jared Langs scored 17 points each and Gabe Ravetz had 14 points and 11 rebounds for Wesleyan (15-1, 3-0), which is No. 21 in the latest NCAA Division III rankings.
Ben Rice had 11 points and eight rebounds, Andrew Hartel scored 12 points and David Murray had seven rebounds for Conn (6-5, 1-1), which had its four-game winning streak snapped.
In other games:
• John Beagle scored 17 points as St. Thomas More beat Winchendon 92-67. Elias Rodl and Noah Williamson had 16 points each and Taku Youngblood scored 15 for the Chancellors (11-4).
• Marina Petruzzi scored 25 points to lead Wesleyan to a 72-46 win over Conn College in a NESCAC game. Jaycie Rojik had 15 points and eight rebounds, Aislinn McMahon had six rebounds and Caitlyn Donadio had four steals for Conn (2-13, 0-3). Maggie Lee scored 15 points, Abby Gray had 10 rebounds and Caleigh Ryan had 11 assists for Wesleyan (7-9, 1-3).
• NFA finished sixth at the Greater Hartford Open on Saturday. Jaiden James finished third at 120 pounds and teammates Hyde Bradley (95), Connor Devega (138) and Thomas Brunelli (145) had fourth-place finishes.
• Bacon Academy went 0-4 at the Ellis Tech Duals on Saturday but had two wrestlers win four matches. Aaron Running (170) and Aden Taylor (285) were each 4-0 with three pins. Jay Wikarska (132), Gabriel Mahon (138) and Carson Brown (160) won three matches each for Bacon (5-18).
H.S. girls' basketball
• Wheeler lost to Westbrook 53-27 in a nonleague game on Saturday night. Addie Hauptmann had 15 points, eight rebounds and four steals and Marissa Perkins had seven points and five rebounds for Wheeler (3-7).
• The Eastern CT Eagles lost to the East Haven co-op 3-0 on Saturday. Eric Prates of Bacon Academy made 15 saves for the Eagles (3-5).
Men's indoor track
• Conn College picked up three individual wins at Bowdoin's Peter Slovenski Invitational on Saturday. Freshman Noah Vernick won the 800-meter run in a time of 2:14.33, Jeffrey Love won the 3,000 in 8:38.45 and Marr Carter won the 5,000 in 15:09.49. Conn's Ascher MacLean (1,000) and Stuart Pollock (3,000) had second-place finishes.
Women's indoor track
• Emi Schwab and Sarah Anderson of Conn College won events on Saturday at Bowdoin's Peter Slovenski Invitational. Schwab won the 5,000 in 18:26.55 and Anderson won the 800 in 2:38.44. Julia Curran (5,000), Mary Rusnock (600) and Caitlin Horgan (3,000) of Conn had second-place finishes.
• Conn College split a pair of matches over the weekend, beating Chatham 7-2 and losing to Georgetown 7-2. Lili Vazquez and Ashley Breyer had wins against Chatham and Angela Cao and Tanya Mendoza earned wins against Georgetown.
Stories that may interest you
Mitchell College's baseball team won Saturday's first elimination before being ousted by Washington & Lee later in the day in the NCAA Division III tournament.
Cassie Woods and Alexis Michon both played elsewhere in the Little East Conference and watched the Eastern Connecticut State University softball team from afar. Both transferred to Eastern exactly for this moment.