Local roundup: Ledyard uses five straight pins to defeat Waterford 48-30
Ledyard — Ledyard rattled off five consecutive pins on the way to a 48-30 victory over Waterford in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division II wrestling match on Wednesday night.
Ryan Taggart (120) pounds got things rolling with a fall in just 39 seconds followed by Douglas Satter at 126 (59 seconds), LInda Holeman at 132 (3:451), Connor Doran at 138 (1:29) and Colin Degaetano at 145 (4:37).
Avery Kenny (170) and Tyler Smith (220) also recorded pins for the Colonels (9-2, 2-0) while the Lancers (3-10, 0-2) picked up pins from Mason Concascia (152) and Michael Norton (2:85) and decisions by Brody Ruest (113) and Zac Gamble (160).
In other matches:
• Windham cruised to a 52-26 victory over Bacon Academy in an ECC Divison II match. The Bobcats (5-19, 0-2) picked up pins from Dominic Colella (126), Connor Tuttle (138) and Carson Brown (152), while Dante Colella (145) won by technical fall and Aaron Running (160) won by decision.
• NFA recorded four pins en route to a 51-30 win over Fitch in an ECC Division I match on Tuesday. Brock Nowakowski (106 pounds), Dugan Marsh (132), Connor Devega (138) and Zaire Wallace (170) had pins for NFA (7-3, 2-0) and teammate Rhys Surprenant (195) also won his match. Luca Ursini (113), Melakai Maddox (160), John Luethy (182), Cal Muese (220) and Ty Ambroise (285) had pins for Fitch (2-6, 0-2).
H.S. girls' basketball
• Mariette El Khoury made seven 3-pointers and scored 23 points with four rebounds as Fitch beat Montville, 70-37, for its fifth straight win. Rita Sefransky had 10 points, nine rebounds, eight assists and three steals for Fitch (7-3) and DreAna Singleton had eight points, eight assists, five rebounds and four steals. Maya Hillman had 15 points for Montville (6-7) and Jada Cheung scored 11.
• Jami Sacco made five 3-pointers and scored 25 points in Westbrook’s 53-25 win over Norwich Tech. Leticia Pires scored 14 for Westbrook (6-4). Ashlyn Bill scored nine and Kaylee Gray eight points for the Warriors (2-9).
• Marissa Nudd scored 21 points to lead Bacon Academy to a 62-32 win over Stonington on Tuesday. Valerie Luizzi had 16 points and five assists, Ashley Lizotte scored 10 points and Liz Glover had seven rebounds for Bacon (9-1). Gabby imock had 14 points and 11 rebounds and Presley Smith had nine rebounds for Stonington (4-7).
H.S. boys' basketball
• Cody Murphy scored 20 points as Ellington downed Lyman Memorial, 64-48. Mike Bontempo had 16 points for Ellington and Elijah Miller scored 10. Jaiden Lopez scored 15, Jordan Chandler scored 13 and Bennett Murphy scored eight for the Bulldogs (1-9).
• Taiga Kagitomi had 18 points and eight rebounds to lead Bowdoin to a 76-72 win over Connecticut College in the New England Small College Athletic Conference. Cam Schainfield scored a game-high 19 points for the Camels (6-6, 1-2) while Jarrod Flynn added 16 on 8-of-9 shooting, David Murray scored 12 and Billy Whelan 10.
• Jacob Morales (18 points) led four Springfield players in double figures with 18 points as the Pride beat Coast Guard, 78-69, in a New England Men's and Women's Athletic Conference game. Panayiotis Kapanides had 15 points and four rebounds for Springfield (4-10, 2-3). Tyler Perez had 10 points and six rebounds, Cameron Brown had seven points and 11 rebounds and Declan Rooney scored 14 for the Bears (3-10, 0-4).
• South Kent edged St. Thomas More, 67-65. Kyle Carlesimo scored 25 for St. Thomas More.
• Christina Antonakakis had 27 points and seven assists to lead MIT past Coast Guard, 87-73, in a NEWMAC game. Annika Sougstad had 21 points and nine rebounds for MIT (5-7, 1-1). Kyra Hartman had 18 points and four rebounds, Kira Wood had 17 points and four rebounds and Jacqueline Ward had 11 points, four rebounds and four assists for the Bears (8-5, 1-1).
• Kaitlyn Abbey of East Lyme swept her way to the all-around title, but the East Lyme/Old Lyme/Old Saybrook cooperative team lost its season opener to NFA 130.05-113.05. Abbey finished with an all-around total of 36.25 points, winning on vault (9.1), bars (8.8), balance beam (9.0) and floor exercis (9.45).
NFA's Sara Fedeli was second in the all-around (33.0) with seconds on bars (7.9) and floor (9.0) while Old Saybrook's Ava Smoliga was third in the all-around (32.8). Emma Field added a second on beam (8.0) for NFA (2-3) and teammate JaRyee Silvia was third (7.9).
• Colin Bunkley and Kevin Yang both scored in the first period of the Eastern Connecticut Eagles’ 2-1 win over Tri-Town. Cam McCollum had 18 saves for the Eagles (4-5) and Drew Sager added an assist.
• Mitchell College's DougieDelaCruz, a senior from Montville, was named to the D3baseball.com preseason All-America team, one of only 45 players on the list and one of four from New England.
DelaCruz is coming off an All-America junior season when he batted .430 with 13 doubles, eight homers, a school-record 58 RBI and a league-high 39 runs scored. He was named the New England Collegiate Conference Player of the Year for the second time and was selected MVP of the 2021 NECC Tournament after leading the Mariners to the title.
Stories that may interest you
BASEBALL/SOFTBALLWaterford Babe Ruth baseball — Registration is open for the 13-15 season at www.wbrlct.org for players from Waterford, Montville, Norwich and Bozrah. Fee will be based on number of players/teams. Contact: League president Lucas Beaney,...