H.S. roundup: St. Bernard boys clinch share of ECC D-III title
Montville — Max Lee scored 23 points and Joseph Beltran added 14 as St. Bernard School beat Windham 71-65 on Monday to clinch at least a share of the Eastern Connecticut Conference Division III boys' basketball title.
Hunter Baillargeon had 13 points for the Saints (17-2, 10-1), who can win the division outright with a win at Tourtellotte tonight.
Cliff Jones scored 18 of his game-high 34 points in the first half for the Whippets (8-9, 5-5).
In other games:
• August Chapman scored 10 points, including the game-winning free throws in overtime, as Williams School outlasted Oxford 58-56. Zain Alam scored a game-high 36 points for the Blues.
• Aliza Bell had eight points and 16 rebounds to pace Stonington to a 48-29 win over Plainfield. The Bears (13-6) host East Lyme in Thursday’s ECC Division I quarterfinals. Miranda Arruda had 11 points and 10 rebounds and Izadora Yarnell scored 12 for Stonington. Plainfield, the ECC Div. III champion, is 13-7.
• Julia Lavin had 14 points and nine rebounds as Ledyard finished its regular season with a 48-42 win over Killingly. Sarah Serbascewicz had 17 points and six assists for Ledyard (9-11) and Jade Langworthy scored 12.
• Emma Morgan had 12 points and eight rebounds, but Wheeler ended its regular season with a 33-29 nonleague loss to Putnam. Sam Caster added 10 rebounds for the Lions (6-14), who play at Griswold in the first round of the ECC Division II tournament on Wednesday.
• Emily Meigs had a double-double — 11 points and 10 rebounds — as Montville ended its regular season with a 36-27 win over Fitch. Emmiley Genua added 10 points for the Indians (6-14) and Angel Skulczyck had six rebounds and 10 rebounds. Charlotte Carney and Jazzlyn Henderson had seven points apiece for Fitch (1-18).
• Senior Jordan Lewis scored 21 points on Senior Night as Old Lyme routed Old Saybrook 70-24 in the Shoreline Conference. Freshman Emma McCulloch added 16 for the Wildcats (13-6, 11-6), who finish the regular season on Wednesday at Westbrook before playing in the conference quarterfinals on Saturday against an opponent to be determined.
2018 ECC GIRLS' BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT
No. 8 Fitch at No. 1 New London, 6:30 p.m.
No. 7 Ledyard at No. 2 NFA, 6 p.m.
No. 6 Bacon at No. 3 Woodstock, 6 p.m.
No. 5 East Lyme at No. 4 Stonington, 7 p.m.
New London-Fitch winner vs. Stonington-East Lyme winner, 4:30 p.m.
NFA-Ledyard winner vs. Woodstock-Bacon winner, 6:30 p.m.
Wednesday, Feb. 21
Semifinal winners, 7:30 p.m.
No. 10 Wheeler at No. 7 Griswold, 7 p.m.
No. 9 Montville at No. 8 Killingly, 6 p.m.
Killingly-Montville winner at No. 1 Plainfield, 6:30 p.m.
Griswold-Wheeler winner at No. 2 Lyman Memorial, 6 p.m.
No. 6 Tourtellotte at No. 3 Windham, 6 p.m.
No. 5 St. Bernard at No. 4 Waterford, 6 p.m.
Lyman/Griswold-Wheeler winner vs. Windham-Tourtellotte winner, noon
Plainfield/Killingly-Montville winner vs. Waterford-St. Bernard winner, 2 p.m.
Wednesday, Feb. 21
Semifinal winners, 5:30 p.m.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES