ECC tournament: No. 1 New London girls cruise into D-I semis
New London — Freshman Joniyah Bland-Fitzpatrick began her first postseason in style, scoring 23 points while adding seven rebounds and six assists as top-seeded New London cruised to a 67-23 win over No. 8 Ledyard in the quarterfinals of the Eastern Connecticut Conference Division I girls' basketball tournament on Thursday night at Conway Gymnasium.
The Whalers (19-2) will play No. 5 East Lyme, a 54-47 winner over No. 4 Norwich Free Academy, in Saturday's semifinals at 5:30 p.m. at Plainfield High School. Spencer Roman added nine points and five assists for New London while Tai Pagan had a team-high nine rebounds.
Jade Langworthy scored 10 points and Katie Krupansky eight for the Colonels, who finish 7-15.
In other Division I games:
• Miranda Arruda scored 22 points to lead a balanced Stonington attack as the No. 2 Bears rolled to a 62-39 win over No. 7 Waterford in Division I. The Bears (17-4) will play No. 3 Bacon Academy in Saturday's semifinals at Plainfield (3:30 p.m.). The teams split two regular-season meetings, including a 56-53 Bacon win on Monday.
Zoe Ribeiro added 16 points for eight rebounds for Stonington while Sophia Bell had 12 points and nine rebounds and Kate Johnson added 10 points. Milly Walker led the Lancers (8-13) with a game-high 23 points.
• Kellie Nudd had 13 points and 13 rebounds to lead No. 3 Bacon to a 42-29 win over No. 6 Woodstock Academy. Bacon (17-4) led 35-14 after three quarters.
• Third-seeded Montville advanced to Saturday's semifinals at Plainfield with a 49-40 win over No. 6 Killingly. Maya Hillman had 19 points and 17 rebounds to lead the Indians (13-8), who play the second-seeded host Panthers at 1 p.m., while Lauren Velazquez chipped in 11 points and six steals.
• Madison Kelley and J'Kyrah Johnson scored nine points apiece as Plainfield downed No. 7 St. Bernard. The Saints finish the season 8-14.
• No. 5 Windham defeated No. 4 Griswold 59-50 and will play top-seeded Putnam in Saturday's first semifinal at 11 a.m. Putnam beat No. 8 Tourtellotte 50-24.
Stories that may interest you
Waterford High School, which won the CIAC Division II boys' basketball championship in March, will remain in Division II for the 2019-20 season.
Hannah Smith pitched a one-hitter with 12 strikeouts as Norwich Tech beat Wolcott Tech 3-2 in a Connecticut Technical Conference softball tournament quarterfinal on Monday.
Allyson Lewis was seeded second in the long jump at Monday's Eastern Connecticut Conference track and field championships.
A flashback to indoor track season came about an hour before Monday's ECC outdoor track championship when Norwich Free Academy boys' coach Tom Teixeira was still on the bus.