H.S. lacrosse: Pearse scores 100th career goal as Fitch girls beat Stonington
Groton — Senior Zoe Pearse scored her 100th career goal as Fitch opened its season with an impressive 16-14 girls' lacrosse victory over Stonington on Thursday at Poquonnock Plains Field.
Pearse finished with three goals for the Falcons, who made a winner of Michael Luethy in his head coaching debut.
Goalie Molly Bresnahan made 16 saves for Fitch while Maggie O'Leary led the Falcons with five goals and one assist. Jessica Russo added two goals and three assists, Madelyn Catlett had two goals and one assist, Rita Sefransky scored twice, Brigitte O'Leary had a goal and an assist, and Valentine Silva scored once.
Kate Johnson had six goals and two assists to lead the Bears (1-1) while Emma Sabbadini had four goals and one assist, Hannah Lamb scored four goals and goalie Isabella McCarthy made 10 saves.
In other matches:
• Ledyard rallied from a 5-2 halftime deficit to hand Montville its first loss, 7-6. Cassidy Carroll scored four goals to lead the Colonels (2-1) while Madison Leyko added two goals, Maddie Pipech had a goal and an assist and goalie Kayleigh Woomer made eight saves. Maddie Gould had a pair of goals for the Indians (2-1) while Alexis DeLucia finished with a goal and two assists, Chloe Smith had one goal and one assist, and Ashley Rewers and Morgan Orr each added a goal.
• Olivia Gianakos scored four goals and added two assists in Waterford's 15-10 loss to Morgan. Grace Briggs had two goals and Ashley Brandt added one goal and two assists while goalie Illyana Rivera added six saves for the Lancers (0-2).
• Mike Kolesnik had eight goals and an assist as Old Lyme cruised to a 17-1 victory over Old Saybrook in the Shoreline Conference. Alec Spiers added four goals and five assists for the Wildcats while Owen Macadams had three goals and one assist, Corbin Caulkins two goals and two assists, Ty Dean one goal and two assists and Henry Lahm one assist.
• Cole Paquin had three goals and three assists as Norwich Tech/Windham Tech edged Ledyard/Griswold 8-7. Lukas Poore scored three times, James Balogh and Ryan Demitri each had a goal, and Cole Occhalini had 13 saves for Norwich Tech/Windham Tech. Kaine Sherman and Cameron Reynolds both scored twice for the Colonels (2-1) and Seth Hurt had 21 saves. Also, Seamus McGrath and Isaiah Spaulding each had a goal and an assist.
• Kyle Jacobson had two goals and five assists as Waterford downed Morgan, 19-7. Caleb Holdridge and Ryan Huta each had five goals for the Lancers (2-0) and Mason LaForte scored four times.
• Woodstock Academy beat Montville 12-3. Sean Ventresca had two goals, Derek Debbis scored, and Stevie Turchetta had 15 saves for Montville (0-1).
• Jack Dacey had five goals and John DeLucia four as Guilford downed East Lyme on Wednesday night, 13-4. Guilford (1-0) led 7-1 at halftime. Ben Jakubczak, Matt Valokos and Rich and Scott Galbo each scored for the Vikings (2-1) and James McCoy had an assist.
Stories that may interest you
Ledyard High School named Allyn Quibble head wrestling coach and Tim Strong boys' outdoor track coach on Tuesday, as announced by athletic director and assistant principal Jim Buonocore.