Memories: Installing trolley tracks
Circa 1890 — Norwich citizens watch as laborers install trolley tracks in Franklin Square. The first trolleys were horse-drawn, but after the overhead electrical lines were installed, the horses were retired. On the left are the former Norwich Savings Society building and Wauregan Hotel. In the center are the elm tree and horse water trough that were later removed. On the right is the Columbia House. All the ground floor stores in the square were occupied. Except for Thames Square on the West Side and a few Norwichtown stores, downtown Norwich was the only place to shop.
Ken Keeley is the author of numerous pictorial history books of Norwich, Taftville, New London, The History of the Norwich Rose Arts Festival — 1965-1980, The History of Ocean Beach Park, and The History of the Norwich Little League & Farm System — 1950-1975. His books are available for sale at La Stella’s Italian Bakery in Taftville, La Stella’s Pizzeria in the downtown, and the Backus Hospital Gift Shop. He can be reached on Facebook, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Comment threads are monitored for 48 hours after publication and then closed.