Local roundup: New London wrestlers rally past NFA 41-37
New London — New London rallied from a 19-point deficit by winning the final four matches to pull out a dramatic 41-37 victory over Norwich Free Academy in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division I wrestling match on Thursday night.
The Whalers (3-1, 2-0) are the only unbeaten team in the division.
They trailed 37-18 when pins by Luis Rodriguez-Veras (170 pounds) and Xavier Alvarez (180) cut the deficit to 37-30. Jacob Commander followed with a technical fall at 195 to pull New London within 37-35 before Noah Kimball (220) clinched the win third-period pin.
"It was an insane comeback," New London coach Mike Gorton said. "It was a really great win."
New London also picked up pins from Najee Powell-Keyton (106), Taren Robledo-Thompson (120) and Max Commander (132).
NFA is 9-8, 1-2.
In other matches:
• Fitch recorded six pins and accepted five forfeits during a 70-12 victory over Bacon Academy. The Falcons (4-5) picked up pins from Aidan Robertson (106 pounds), Vincent Trento (138), Austin Robertson (145), Dakota Bryson (170), Brandon Hamilton (195) and Dakota Grover (220).
• Ray Doll scored a career-high 18 points and Aedan Using had 18 points and eight rebounds as Old Lyme beat Coginchaug 67-52 in a Shoreline Conference game. Jacob Coverdale had 11 points and Brady Sheffield scored 10 for Old Lyme (7-4, 7-3).
• Montville lost to Killingly in an ECC Division II game, 46-41. John Domijan had 16 points and 21 rebounds for Montville (2-8, 0-4).
• Emma Morgan scored eight points during Wheeler's 60-30 loss to Lyman Memorial in an ECC Division III game. Savannah Galluci added seven points and 13 rebounds for the Lions (3-9, 1-6) while Sam Caster had five points and 10 rebounds.
• Griswold beat Norwich Tech 46-23 in a nonleague game. Dani Krapf and Beth Ladd scored eight points each for Griswold (4-6) and Erin McBride led Norwich Tech (0-8) with seven points.
• Kevin Close had two goals and an assist as the Eastern CT Eagles defeated Tri-Town 8-5. Will Cannella also scored two goals for the Eagles (6-1) while Ryan Huta and Evan Tower had one goal and two assists apiece. Han Sherman had two assists, Kyle Jacobson had a goal and an assist, Riley Jordan scored a goal and goalie Rylin Fowler made 26 saves.
• Gillian Gerton had her fifth double-double of the season as Coast Guard Academy beat Nichols 61-48 in a nonleague game. Gerton, a senior, had 14 points and 10 rebounds for her 22nd double-double. Micaela Martinelli had 15 points and six rebounds and Breanna Wood had 10 points and eight rebounds for the Bears (8-7).
• Southern Vermont shot 56 percent from the floor in opening a 51-37 halftime lead, and the Mountaineers went on to hand Mitchell College a 92-78 defeat, its first in the New England Collegiate Conference this season. Domenico Santiago led the Mariners (8-8, 4-1) with 27 points and 13 rebounds while Steffen Brunson added 17 points, Brayvon Young 12 and Hasani Williams 10. Southern Vermont is 12-4, 4-1.
• Avery Point lost to Bristol Community College 69-55 in an NJCAA Region 21 game. Stonington's Amadi White had 13 points and eight rebounds, New London's Tyrel Martinez had 12 points and seven rebounds and Jacee Hamelin had 11 points and six assists for the Pointers (5-10, 5-8).
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES