Local roundup: Coast Guard wins in women's soccer
Madison, N.J. — The Coast Guard women's soccer team scored goals late in each half en route to a 2-0 win over Penn State-Behrend on Sunday in the Drew College tournament.
Freshman Jocelyn Highsmith gave the Bears (3-1) a 1-0 lead on her first career goal. And freshman Brielle Pearce assisted as sophomore Kylee Ballard scored in the 89th minute. Freshman Katharina Commins made four saves for her second shutout of the season.
College field hockey
• No. 1 UConn beat No. 10 Syracuse 3-0 as sophomore goalie Cheyenne Specher made four saves for her third shutout of the season. Jessica Dembrowski, Cecile Pieper and Svea Boker scored for the Huskies (6-0).
• Arkansas scored three unanswered goals to close out the game and a 3-1 win over UConn. Alexa Casimiro gave UConn (2-6) a 1-0 lead in the 31st minute with Yamilee Eveillard assisting.
• Abdou Mback Thiam scored off a header in the 79th minute as UConn beat Dartmouth 1-0 on Saturday night. Dayonn Harris assisted on the goal for UConn (3-2).
H.S. girls' soccer
• Stonington opened its season with a 1-0 loss to Westerly in the Piver Cup on Saturday night. Jamie Murray scored with one minute left in the second overtime to give Westerly the win.
• Fitch won its season opener, beating Chariho 2-1 in the Piver Cup on Saturday. Madison Lynch and Valentina Silva scored goals for the Falcons.
H.S. field hockey
• Waterford lost to Valley Regional 5-1 in its season opener on Saturday. Cassidy Susi scored for Waterford, with Molly Quiles getting an assist and Nini Yangga making 16 saves.
Stories that may interest you
The New England Black Wolves signed team captain Brett Manney to a one-year contract, the team announced Tuesday.
Ledyard rolled to the Senior League (ages 13-16) softball state title with a 15-5 win over Bristol on Sunday night, winning the mercy-rule game in five innings.