Local roundup: Stonington field hockey team rolls past Woodstock
Woodstock — Hannah Nulick scored three goals Tuesday and the Stonington High School field hockey team defeated Woodstock Academy 8-0 in the Eastern Connecticut Conference.
Dillon Griscom, Anne Drago, Gabby Dimmock, Megan Harris and Nora Walsh also scored for the Bears (1-1, 1-0).
In other games:
• Sarah Healy had two goals and an assist as East Lyme opened it season with a 6-1 win over Killingly inthe ECC. Gracie Lloyd, Cailyn Maiolo, Greta Schwartz and Abby Hanney also scored for the Vikings (1-0).
College field hockey
• Jackie Mountford made nine saves in Connecticut College's 2-0 non-conference loss to Endicott. It was the season opener for the Camels.
• Coast Guard Academy played to a 2-2 overtime draw with Salve Regina. The Bears (5-0-1) scored their first goal on a direct kick by Gabe Gallant in the 26th minute, and after falling behind 2-1, Robbie Fugett scored the equalizer in the 39th minute. Coast Guard goalie John Vaaler made six saves.
• No. 6 Connecticut College lost its season opener to Wheaton, 2-1. Freshman Jack Kelesoglu scored his first career goal for Conn, giving the Camels an early 1-0 lead.
• Eastern Connecticut scored goals 38 seconds apart late in the first half and defeated Mitchell College, 3-0. Goalie Dylan Kinsella stopped a penalty kick for the Mariners (0-4-1).
• Mitchell College and Dean College played to a scoreless draw in double overtime in a non-conference match. Mitchell goalkeeper Gemma Landry made 15 saves. The Mariners are 2-2-1.
• Amanda Dake had a match-high 12 kills and five aces to go with eight digs while Maddie James and Sophia Galdamez each had nine kills leading Coast Guard Academy to a 3-0 win over previously unbeaten Merchant Marine. Game scores were 25-11, 25-20 and 25-19. It was sixth straight time that Coast Guard (6-3) has beaten MMA (5-1) and the win gives the Bears a 2-0 lead in the 2021-22 Superintendent's Trophy standings. Carmen Zipf led the Bears with nine digs while Lauren Hatfield added eight.
• Fitch/Stonington/New London opened its season with a 95-70 ECC victory over Waterford. Addison Furling and Delaney Reck won two events apiece for the Falcons, Fulling winning the 200-yard IM (2:27.50) and 500 freestyle (5:42.27) and Reck capturing the 50 free (25.24) and 100 backstroke (1:03.02). They were also joined by Laura Letellier and Anna Orphanides on the winning 200 medley relay team (2:00.72).
• Mitchell College finished third at the MASCAC Championship Preview at Berkshire Hills Country Club. Mitchell shot 331 as a team and finished behind only Salem State University (313) and Westfield State University (322). Nick Knisel shot 77 to lead the Mariners.
Stories that may interest you
The Connecticut College women's soccer team beat Colby 2-0 in a NESCAC game on Sunday